Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z Axis Stall

Default Z Axis Stall

This past week I have had a couple of Z Axis stalls. Both have occurred after installing the cutting bit to cut out the pattern.
    One of the projects is a pattern I have done several times, I ran three more after the stall and had no problem. I ran a new pattern yesterday and it happened again.

The machine is clean and lubricated. I replaced the ffc cable a few weeks back because the other looked like it was developing a crack and I had a spare on hand.

I did the operator tests and everything was working.

What am I missing?

Sas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the stalls have started after replacing the FFC ribbon, maybe you should recheck the connections at each end of the ribbon.

Otherwise, explain exactly when the stall occurs and we might come up with some other theories.

I checked the ribbon and it seems to be plugged in right and in good shape. The stall yesterday occurred at the end of the project. I used a carving bit, a v bit, and then put in the cutting bit and the stall occurred when it began the cut. On the other project, I used a carving bit and then the cutting bit at the end when it stalled. This particular project is one I have run several times and then did two more of with no problem after the stall.

I replaced the bushings in the cut motor at the same time I replaced the ffc ribbon.

Thanks for the help

Likely a slipping Z Encoder plastic wheel. The fast up and down of Carving can give the encoder "Whiplash"...

Clean it too...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06551a_WEB.jpg   DSC01476_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Ok, thanks

Could the cutting bit be dull or chipped?

Is there any chance that the plate at the brass roller has a hole drilled into it? Some times the cutting head is still spinning when it bobs down to the brass roller.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I just finished a three hour carve, no bit change, and everything worked fine. I pulled the cover off and see a little dust inside the encoder case ( how does it even get in there?) so I'll clean it. The bit is in good shape. I will check the plate by the brass roller. When I pulled the cover there was a bunch of fine powder from some cedar pieces I carved the other day. I have another project to carve and cut this afternoon so We'll see if it works then. I think anything with a computer in it experiences temporary insanity from time to time.

Have any of y'all experienced the phenomena that you only break something when you have someone wanting to actually pay for a project? I took the key board side cover off, dropped it, and tore the wires loose on the ribbon going to the reader. Well, I guess I have presented myself with an opportunity to stock up on parts and deep clean the machine. I wonder if it will fit in the dishwasher?

Bummer. But, as Al said, do check that the encoder disk is not loose on the motor shaft. The "jack hammering" that the machine does when plunging the cutting bit into the wood might be making the disk slip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast