Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found a way to do a roughing pass

I also found this interesting. I was wondering, could you do the roughing pass with a bigger bit like say the 1/2" bit? It would move a lot of wood in a shorter amount of time. This reduction combined with the final carving pass done would give you an overall reduction in time and machine wear.

Donnie
    CarveSpot - http://www.CarveSpot.com

I think roughing passes make more sense with other CNC machines. With the CW, the final pass will take the same time whether or not a roughing pass was done first. I do not see any easy way to save time since the cutting rate with the CW is not controllable (as it is with other CNC machines). If the CW would fly through the final shallow pass, that would be different. Instead, the CW will slowly carve the final pass as if it were a full depth carve.

True, the final pass would be easier on the machine. On the other hand, more time means more machine wear (think brushes or Y bearings for example).

I have used multiple passes for other reasons but not to save time or machine wear.

The roughing pass's purpose is not to save time in any way but to reduce stress and extend the carving bits life. Again, like I said, the roughing pass can be done on "draft"
    It takes as much time do to a roughing and carving toolpaths with a CNC. And the allowance I add is for any offset you may have reloading your board. Depending on your z height, the CNC will make 2-3 passes and than do your final carving toolpath. Been using a CNC for the past 3 years and have learned from the best.

And again, this toolpath will probably not work for every job and it's meant to be used for carvings more than 3/8"

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I think roughing passes make more sense with other CNC machines. With the CW, the final pass will take the same time whether or not a roughing pass was done first. I do not see any easy way to save time since the cutting rate with the CW is not controllable (as it is with other CNC machines). If the CW would fly through the final shallow pass, that would be different. Instead, the CW will slowly carve the final pass as if it were a full depth carve.

True, the final pass would be easier on the machine. On the other hand, more time means more machine wear (think brushes or Y bearings for example).

I have used multiple passes for other reasons but not to save time or machine wear.

Donnie there is no 1/2" bit for the CW but the 3/16" endmill. I will do the MPC's for both endmills using the basic software. Again this pass can be done on "draft" or "best" for a more detailed job.

Quote Originally Posted by Durtdawber View Post
    I also found this interesting. I was wondering, could you do the roughing pass with a bigger bit like say the 1/2" bit? It would move a lot of wood in a shorter amount of time. This reduction combined with the final carving pass done would give you an overall reduction in time and machine wear.

Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    Donnie there is no 1/2" bit for the CW but the 3/16" endmill. I will do the MPC's for both endmills using the basic software. Again this pass can be done on "draft" or "best" for a more detailed job.

Yes there is a 1/2" straight bit in the bit selection.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

My bad. I was thinking of the 3/8″ Straight Bit and the 1/2" Ball Nose. They are shown on this page http://www.carvewright.com/bits/.

But come to think of it, I guess either of them could be used. Especially the 1/2" Ball Nose.

Donnie
    CarveSpot - http://www.CarveSpot.com

I wasn't aware the a 1/2" was now available. It all depends on how big your patterns are. The testing files I have are for a small pattern why I use the 1/8" endmill.

Here's the "Basic" version if some's interested. It has not been tested yet and Robert Dages is working on it this weekend.
    I have no idea at this point if it can work or not.

Here are the 2 MPC's

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5dlx2vsxp...rsion.zip?dl=0

Now that I'm aware there is a 1/2", of course it would hog out wood a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Durtdawber View Post

Donnie

I wasn't aware the a 1/2" was now available.

It's been in the software for years and normally used for pockets. I agree with Dan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast