Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name Sign Example

Default Name Sign Example

I had a couple of requests on how I built the name sign that I posted in the "Designer Bug" thread. For the one shown in the example I use Aspire to build the pattern. However, it can be done entirely in Designer 3 using the 3D and 2D addons. Here is an example. This one took me only about 30 minutes but I have built dozens of this type of signs so I've had a lot of practice.

EDIT: I included the base. Use a test cut in some scrap wood to adjust the size of the slot to fit. I also sanded a bevel the bottom of the sign so it would lean back a little. You could use small screws from the bottom to mount it but I just used glue and rubber bands for clamps. It would probably be easier to delete the profile around the perimeter of the base and use a router table or hand held router. Of course you will have to adjust the sizes of the name sign and the base for different length names.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry-CW.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-18-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    Steve

Thank you for that but I only have the 2.0 some day the 3 upgrade thx for trying
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Thank you Steve. Think I will try to make one.
    Don

Steve to do the puff on projects is it the 2 or the 3 has it for puffing or you need both of them
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    Steve to do the puff on projects is it the 2 or the 3 has it for puffing or you need both of them

Puffing is in the 3d advanced tools add on. 1.187, 2, and 3.

Berg thank you and your back to school soon
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    As Dan said, puffing is part of the 3D addon. I can't remember if puffing for text was introduced in version 2 or 3.

EDIT: I just looked it up in the change log. It looks like puffing for raster text was introduced in version 2.0
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-18-2016 at 12:12 PM.
    Steve

Henry,

Its not exactly the same but you can still get something close with just your regular tools. It is a multi-step process and you have to carefully select the right font for it to work. Clint mentioned it in the other thread.

1. Create your base block.

2. Select surface. Vertical dome.

3. Type in the name and outline. (Connie was right. To close any outlines make the name really large, outline, and then reduce back to the needed size.)

4. Delete the font.

5. Select surface for the font outline. Vertical dome.

6. Group outer outlines of base and font outlines and use outline again for the outer cut.

7. Use cut path or select bit for cut as wanted and make sure to set your tabs.

Like Steve, I would prefer to use a 3d program for better control and more options. It can be the designer 3d add-on or a 3rd party 3d software (in my case blender).

- O
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW henry name.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Henry,

Its not exactly the same but you can still get something close with just your regular tools. It is a multi-step process and you have to carefully select the right font for it to work. Clint mentioned it in the other thread.

1. Create your base block.

2. Select surface. Vertical dome.

3. Type in the name and outline. (Connie was right. To close any outlines make the name really large, outline, and then reduce back to the needed size.)

4. Delete the font.

5. Select surface for the font outline. Vertical dome.

6. Group outer outlines of base and font outlines and use outline again for the outer cut.

7. Use cut path or select bit for cut as wanted and make sure to set your tabs.

Like Steve, I would prefer to use a 3d program for better control and more options. It can be the designer 3d add-on or a 3rd party 3d software (in my case blender).

- O
    oscar
    that is great but can't edite it if I want to change the name ,,in steve one I could
    edit the name
    Henry

Henry,

You are right. This is a multi-step process for this method that you have to do for each new name. Once you are familiar with it, it only takes about a minute or two to create the pattern though.

As I mentioned, the 3d add-ons or 3rd party software packages are easier.

But you don't need them to get somewhat similar results. Its just a bit more work.

O

P.S. did a quick experiment and did my name. Took 4 minutes from start to finish. Would have been a lot quicker but I forgot how I did it the first time. lol. Short term memory is shot. I am going to go have another beer. Day off work so enjoying it. I still have not opened the little water bottle yet but I am sure it will be by the end of the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW name sign base.jpg   CW oscar name.jpg  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 08-18-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast