Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Chess Pieces art challenge

Question Oscar. Since I don't know a thing about chess.... are your pieces in scale with each other (if you were to carve them as a set)? And how many different pieces are there?

Sharon that is a great question. Originally I was not going for a set. They were random art chess pieces. The last two patterns are both designed at 8 inches tall. The rook (castle) is also designed at 8 inches but the base is much smaller.

There are 6 specific pieces in chess though they do not have to be the same: King x2, Queenx2, bishop x4, knight x4, rookx4, pawn x16. So 32 pieces in total. Usually a dark and a light but can be any color.

When I was much younger I was actually ranked in Texas for my age group. I was like 980 out of 1000. lol...but I was ranked!

Due to the size and number of pieces needed to be carved I don't really recommend as a complete project unless there is someone really, and I mean REALLY, special that loves chess. Taking one or two pieces to show the connection as art pieces make a better choice in my mind. Only my 2 cents.

Great patterns Great idea!!

Default Rotary Knight/Paladon

I just got back in town so I'm probably late to the party, but here's a rotary Knight I aquired from somewhere (wish I could remember so i could give credit) and had some fun with to add the "Have Gun Will Travel" to it....remember the old Paladon series ??? So just one chess piece as a paper weight/art piece.

A comment on challenges...I've issue a couple, but have had little success in getting a response...so here's my feable attempt to respond to yours. Manybe I will find time to do a "Pawn"...sort of a poor beggar figure with hands clasped and a begging cup....
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've done a few challenges but it seems that interest has waned a little bit. Everyone I am sure is busy.

And yes this is only for an art piece. Too much work to actually make a full set. The beggar concept is different. Don't think I would have ever come up with something like that.

I only have designer 2 so can't see the mpc. Do you have a picture of it?

Just a note...the correct spelling is "PALADIN" (not Paladon)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paladin_Knight_chesspiece.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-05-2016 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added a screenshot
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael, Thanks for the picture. Great looking pattern so kudos to whoever originally made it.

Ron, Very cool and creative. I had to look up the reference. Show ran from 1957 to 1963. Just slightly before my time but that was his calling card.

I carved that one a couple of years ago when I first got the rotary jig. You have to cut under his chin by hand due to the way the rotary cuts, but a nice pattern. As I recall the pattern came from thingiverse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141018_200043.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	885.8 KB 
ID:	81786

Try this search if you are looking for chess knight inspiration: http://www.thingiverse.com/search/pa...ess+knight&sa=

dave

"57 to "63 ???? boy am I getting OLD...maybe I watched re-runs ....yep it's PALADIN...thanks....went to TINKERCAD..they have lots of 3D chess pieces....saw a robot set...now I'm trying to replecate a robot pawn I saw there for my soon to be 3 yr old grandson...wish me luck...

Wonderful. Share a picture of whatever you build so we can oohh and aahh at it.

There are a few young older folks on here. Since we are having storms today I am feeling like 100. Its nice when you become a human barometer.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast