Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess Pieces art challenge

Default Chess Pieces art challenge

Hopefully a fun challenge since its been so quite lately. For all the pattern builders I challenge you to create your coolest Chess piece pattern for this thread.

This is NOT my coolest chess piece but wanted to kick it off. It took me 10 minutes to make this. It took me way longer to make it a mpc to upload. I know you all can do way better. If there is only one other entry I will dedicate a minimum of an hour to make the most kick butt art chess piece and whoever posts the first pattern gets to call the chess piece i.e. knight, pawn, queen,...etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW chess piece knight w_attitude.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

How about the whole set for the rotary jig.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 395.jpg  
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Eddie!

Glad to see you are still kicking.

Of course that would be cool. I was thinking more of a single art piece but it doesn't have to be.

Regardless, which chess piece pattern do you want me to make?

- O

Oscar, I thought I would show some I had made a long time back. It is nice to see you trying to inspire others to participate in creating something. The tools are there, in designer and third party software, so everyone jump in and create a chess piece, and Oscar will create a fantastic chess piece for the forum.
    Let some one else pick the chess piece, for they are the forum now days, I just check in once in awhile.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

A little sad not even one half hearted attempt at a pattern. Oh well. You guys are lucky I like making patterns. Decided on a Death Knight (bishop). We'll see how it comes out. I've started so should be ready sometime tomorrow to upload.

Death Knight bishop meant as an art piece. I am not enclosing the mpc since everyone will have a different idea of what the base should look like. Not sure if a block, stair stepped circle, or stair stepped squares will look better.

P.S. Took a little longer than the hour I mentioned. Total model build time was about 3 hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW Death Knight bishop.png   Death knight bishop.png  

Oscar,

Am I missing something or is the cape missing on the front pattern?
    Steve

Steve,

Nope, you are correct. I finished the pattern and didn't feel like playing with it any further. I would have to mess with the dimensions so that the stl would cut at exactly the right spot to allow the front of the cape to show. It would also be a 3 stl cut versus 2. To simplify the pattern I just left it at 2.

But your question got me thinking and I was am overthinking it. I only would have to do the previous effort if I wanted to keep exactly the same form factor of the pattern to the 3d model. Not a hard requirement.

I re-sliced the pattern and even though the depth dimensions are off it should be close enough a little sanding and a dremel tool can't fix.

So here is version 2.

Oscar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW Death Knight bishop ver2.png  

Oscar, as I said, you would make a fantastic pattern for the forum. Well done!
    Yes sorry no one tried to make something.

Eddie

Eddie,

Thanks. And thanks for the PM.

For all the readers.

This is my original art so not wonderful. I've always had aspirations to be an artist but still have a long ways to go (but I am running out of time...sad old face...I hope 50 is the new 30). I do hope everyone is seeing what is possible with just a bit of time invested in learning some free software and the stl add-on with CW (and even that is not technically required with the bas relief porting capabilities). The errors and poor quality of the patterns are all on me and not based on either the CW or blender 3d software. They are both wonderful pieces of software with some basic limitations but incredible potential. I believe we are at the beginning of incredible industrial revolution with home manufacturing due to the price drop and availability of laser cutters/engravers, 3d printers, and cnc machining.

blah blah...talking...words...you don't care. lol.

I still want to make another chess piece but this time you choose.

I'll leave the selection open until 1 Sept. If no inputs I'll go dust off the laser engraver that has been sitting in the corner of my shop and start learning how to use that machine. I've had it sitting there for 2 years without even turning it on so don't even know if it works.

Dang CW has been so much fun that I kind of forgot I had the other machine. That was after I got over thinking of throwing it out of a 3rd floor window (sticky roller issue early on).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast