Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess Pieces art challenge

Oscar I like what you are doing,, don't quit on us I don't play chess only with my wife lol if I could help I would I am getting to old to remember stuff just keep up the good work ,I will be carving the ones you put out there
    Last edited by henry1; 08-28-2016 at 07:58 AM.
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Henry,

Thank you. I think I almost cracked a rib laughing. I sent a pm.

Take care please. My memory is getting really horrible too.

Regards,
    Oscar

3. Default

I only wish my imagination was as good as yours. That is a great piece, almost makes me want to say you need to complete the set based on the theme you just started.

OK Oscar - here's an idea. Since you like to think outside the box.... How about chess pieces in the future? For example, what would a knight or a king look like 500 years from now? Chess pieces are based on ancient figures (1300 years ago), what's the future "look" of chess? Some schools have dropped history, do kids even know the definition of a rook, knight, bishop, etc. other than names of chess pieces? Let your mind wander ...hmmm

Norm,

Thanks. That may be something I look into in the future.

Scooby,

That is interesting. I find hard surface modeling a lot easier than organic modeling. Main reason I have been doing so much organic sculpting is to try and get better at it. I still pretty much suck at it. It just takes me forever. Good sculptors can whip up a model in minutes where for me it takes hours and hours. Might have to play with the idea.

Still playing around. Here is a sea monster knight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW sea monster knight.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Oscar, only 50, that is still young, Henry will agree with me since he is older than I by a few years. I started learning 3d work when I was 60.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Oscar.... I don't play chess but I do like your Sea Monster Knight. I can see a whole set with a central theme (Monsters) or the future theme. The younger generation would probably appreciate something different like that.

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Oscar, only 50, that is still young, Henry will agree with me since he is older than I by a few years. I started learning 3d work when I was 60.
    Hey Eddie we are about the same age lol have a good one
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I like Sharon's suggestion of a "monster" or "future" theme. It surely would be a hit with young chess players!

This was more of a concept to see how it would look. Has potential. I can see this being a four sided pattern since it is basically a square. Rook ala castle Greyskull. HEEEEMAAANNN!

But don't even know if anyone under 30 knows what that was. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW chess piece rook ala castel greyskull.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast