Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repair or Replace (a testament to dust collection)

1. Default Repair or Replace (a testament to dust collection)

I have a C model and keep having several problems with it. I think I spend more time working on it than I do using it. They are usually easy fixes, might just be putting a Band-Aid on it until it breaks real good, but I still have to keep taking it apart and putting it back together. My question is what is your opinion on sending it in for a complete overhaul or just buying a new machine? It's tempting to just by the CX but there doesn't seem to be that many upgrades from the C model. Thoughts????............

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide4469 View Post
    I have a C model and keep having several problems with it. I think I spend more time working on it than I do using it. They are usually easy fixes, might just be putting a Band-Aid on it until it breaks real good, but I still have to keep taking it apart and putting it back together. My question is what is your opinion on sending it in for a complete overhaul or just buying a new machine? It's tempting to just by the CX but there doesn't seem to be that many upgrades from the C model. Thoughts????............
    I do know several carvers who are very satisfied with their machine after sending it in to get an over haul but also a few who had issues after doing so. Their problem was more with the how the machine was handled during the shipping process.

It seems you are handy with finding your problems and getting them fixed. What issues have you been having? Do you also have a good dust collection attachment for your machine? Having one does help with a lot of the machine issues.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

The two issues I'm having now that keep reoccurring are the rear compression roller sensor and the raising and lowering of the head unit. I've cleaned all the dust out of the roller sensor and it works for a few cuts. Then just have to do it again. It feels really stiff compared to the front roller.
    Now the head unit doesn't raise up all the way. Just enough for me to get about a 2 inch board in there. I'm sure it's out of line but that's one I haven't been able to fix. I just deal with it.
    I've replaced the cut motor because the last one just shattered to pieces. Maybe it got too hot and cracked. But no issues after putting the new one in.
    All the other issues have been fixed with some cleaning and lube.
    I do not have a good dust collection on there. Any suggestions??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

The two issues I'm having now that keep reoccurring are the rear compression roller sensor...
    Before I got a DC made, I used to blow out the machine with compressed air. I discovered that blowing out the machine with a board in it (rear roller up), always caused the rear roller switch failure. Dust blows right into the switch space when the roller is up. If you use compressed air, make sure the rollers are down.

Rolltide, I have an A model originally from Sears, and a C model. Both run awesomely. Do things happen from time to time, sure. But the biggest thing is taking care of it. I clean mine after about 24hrs of cumulative work. I have the Dust Devil DC's on both connected to 4" dust collection hose. With regards to your head unit, I would suggest taking both side covers off, and cleaning the threads on both sides with a wire brush to get dust out of the threads. Now, some people will argue this, but I coat both threads with spray graphite. It drys quickly and is less likely to stick to dust. Thats my two cents for what its worth, but its my proven method for my machines.

The two issues I'm having now that keep reoccurring are the rear compression roller sensor and the raising and lowering of the head unit. I've cleaned all the dust out of the roller sensor and it works for a few cuts. Then just have to do it again. It feels really stiff compared to the front roller.
    Now the head unit doesn't raise up all the way. Just enough for me to get about a 2 inch board in there. I'm sure it's out of line but that's one I haven't been able to fix. I just deal with it.
    I've replaced the cut motor because the last one just shattered to pieces. Maybe it got too hot and cracked. But no issues after putting the new one in.
    All the other issues have been fixed with some cleaning and lube.
    I do not have a good dust collection on there. Any suggestions??

It sounds like your issues are mostly dust related. You must of missed my "It sucks" link in my signature for one of the many options out there for controlling dust in the machine. There are also several make your own options posted here on the forum.

I would suggest your start with giving your machine a good deep cleaning and lube. To do this you will need to remove the top cover and end panels so that you can get to all areas of the machine to use low volume/pressure air and vacuum it out.

Here is a link the covers a lot of the cleaning http://support.carvewright.com/sugge...ance-schedule/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I have two machines , an A and B model. They work great and yes they do throw fits occasionally.
    Dust collection is paramount!!!!!!!! My down time is almost 0 since i added them on mine.
    I think there are instructions for removing and cleaning the rear roller somewhere.
    Also possible head alignment issue. I check mine by just measuring from the same point on head to the drive belts on each side.
    Im sure someone else will pipe in.....just my experience.
    As stated before.... a good clean and lube may fix everything.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

I got my machine last November and it has been quite a learning experience. I have 380 hours on it now. I think not keeping the machine clean enough was my biggest error that caused other problems. Dust is evil and gets in everything, even parts that are covered and sealed. My machine arrived before my Ring Neck Blues DC insert and like a kid with a new toy I had to run it anyway. I vacuumed the machine out when I got through but that was inadequate. After installing the DC unit I used a shop vac that I had and it seemed to be working. After burning up that shop vac and a new one I spent the few extra dollars on a dust collection blower from Harbor Freight, big difference and even more so after taking off the cloth bag and setting up a vortex collector. Even with this I still vacuum the machine (avoiding the card reader slot so I don't fry it with a static charge) and blow the machine out from back to front. I was doing it from front to back like the videos show but that was just pushing dust into the electronics.

High humidity doesn't help, it will create rust and facilitate collecting dust and crud. Starting out I was only cleaning rails etc when it looked like it needed it. One day I switched from a dark rag to a white one and could not believe how much crud came off and kept coming off each time I put more WD40 on the rag and scrubbed some more. It was a combination of pitch build up and slight rust. The humidity rusted the top of the guide rods and I had to use a strip of WD40 soaked cloth like floss to get around the back of it. I know everyone has their preference but I use a dry Teflon spray on the guide rods.

I had problems getting the head to raise all the way partly because of this and partly because I had never taken the side covers off to thoroughly clean these areas. I ended up damaging teeth in the tie rod assembly and had to replace those gears. If you have never had the bottom off you may have a bunch of saw dust collected there too.

I got really frustrated because it seemed like I was always having to fix something. I think I learned cleaning and maintains it after every use has helped reduce this.

Good luck to you, I hope it is an easy fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Floyd's DC adapter (Ringneck Blues) and a grounded Harbor Freight DC with a auto-shutdown relay system and a home built vortex addon. Usually I blow out the machine with LOW PRESSURE (< 25 lbs) air before each use. Occasionally I will lube the guide posts and the lead screws with a paper towel sprayed with WD40. WD40 is more of a solvent/cleaner than a lubricant. The best advice I can give is to NEVER NEVER NEVER put a vacuum hose in the machine. Did I emphasize NEVER enough? Static electricity is very bad for the machine and most often you won't even see the spark. You cannot protect "parts" of the machine by avoiding them.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-22-2016 at 01:26 PM.
    Steve

10. Default

How far do you break it down for cleaning? Take it completely apart or just get what you can reach?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast