Well - I left the board in the machine overnight. Today I started it up, didn't change a thing and it went through all the procedures but stopped when it rolled the board out the back and gave me the "Check Tracking Roller" msg. I hit enter and it continued on w/o a problem. It stopped after a few minutes with a Close cover message. I took out the left cover switch and could not find a problem, reinstalled it and it continued on. Then I got a Check Cut Motor Error msg. I hit enter and it carved fine.
I put a second board on the carrier, went through all the same procedures and it gave me the same Check Cut Motor message again at the exact same location. I hit enter and it continued on.
I put a third board in, no messages at all and it carved fine. I'm sure there will be more problems in the future. I suspect the cheap solder used on the connections are losing conductivity.???
I never got to the point of checking the gears, the next time it has a fit I will investigate further.
DickB - I tried a shorter board and it had no issues at all. I did not get to the point of carving it, I just tried the set up procedure.
Bergerud - I think our machines are related and have the same bad gene.
I will let you know how the next carve goes.
Thanks again for all the advice.