Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z Test & Cut Motor Test give Z Axis Stall Err E06-0313

Default Z Test & Cut Motor Test give Z Axis Stall Err E06-0313

Hi,

My machine stopped about 30 minutes into an hour raster carving of lettering on a project I've been working on. It had a message to clean the Z-axis rollers and press enter. I always clean the machine well between carvings so it wasn't too dirty, but I vacuumed it and even put some dry lube on the Z rails. I checked and the truck moved easily. I pressed enter and got a Z Axis Stall error message. No options other then press stop, so I lost the project.

I removed the wood and went into user tests under options. Test Z gives a Z Axis Stall Err E06-0313. So does Test Cut Motor. I powered the machine down and unplugged it for 30 seconds. Powered back up and reran tests with same results. I checked and the spindle can be turned freely, so the flex cable seems OK. I read the E06 – Z-Axis Stall support note on-line, and based on that I opened the bottom of the machine, vacuumed the small amount of sawdust out of there and checked that all cables and connectors were fully engaged. I also removed the screws and lifted the top of the unit enough to check cable connection up there. Plugged it back in, powered it up and the tests still have the E06-0313 error. It's an older Craftsman Compucarve I purchased new and later I upgraded to the traction belts and carvetight spindle. It has only 5hrs 9 minutes run time on it.

Suggestions for debugging this issue are greatly appreciated.

Gene

I would check to see if the FFC cable has any breaks or torn spots.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I agree with Floyd. It's probably the FFC cable but it could also be cut motor brushes. There are many other things that can cause a z-axis stall like the the Z termination board on the Z truck, the Z motor assembly, or even a controller but the FFC cable and/or brushes is a good place to start.
    Steve

Don't forget the z encoder disc. That would be my bet. It could be loose.

See my thread, "Cut Motor Won't Run....Again". for more clues.

I do not think it has to do with the cut motor. The cut motor test first "homes" the y and z trucks before the actual cut motor test. The cut motor test aborts if there is a y or z stall. The problem here is probably only the z stall.

First Post... WELCOME !!!!!! add your location just in case someone might be near to you for future help.

Use of the Vacuum Cleaner can be VERY EXPENSIVE to you.... The wood dust flowing through the plastic hose produces VERY HIGH STATIC VOLTAGE that has been known to KILL the electronics of the machine. Especially since you did the cleaning with the POWER ON then pressed Enter and got another fault....

Next we need to know if your machine has the newer 14 pin FSC Cable system known as the A907 upgrade. The older 18 pin cable had a problem with the thinner flat wires where they would snap from flexing as the head moves in the Y Axis. Check out my pictures, I call it a 16 pin in my old pictures but it is a 18 pin.

So do you have a 14 or 18 pin system? If you have a 18 pin the A907 kit contains a new 14 pin cable and the circuit boards that goes out on either end. NEVER mix 14 and 18 pin parts as the size difference can short out the machine.

So like the other posts, likely this is a FSC Cable problem... The FLAT cable running to your Z Truck.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06680a_WEB.jpg   DSC06659a_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I do have revision 1 of the board with the older 18 pin connector. The FFC cable looks perfect. The "glue" where the cable goes into the FFC cable guard on the Z motor pack is cracked through and no longer doing anything, but I checked the cable closely at that point and it is not cracked. I hate to pull this cable out and do a continuity check on it as I may do more harm than good taking it on and off. Other suggestions for narrowing this down? Is there documentation on how to check the Z-encoder disk? I would hope it's not the motor brushes with 5 hrs and 9 minutes of run time.

Gene

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160812_170258.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	81548

I pulled the black cover off the back of the Z-motor assembly and found the Z encoder disk. It looks fine and spins freely in the sensor as the Z truck is moved up and down.

Gene
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160812_173530.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	81549

I submitted two posts on Friday, but for some reason they were never posted. I attached photos. Perhaps I exceeded a size limit or something.

Thanks for all of your responses.

I removed the back of the Z motor and the encoder wheel rotates freely in the sensor when the z truck is moved up and down. Seems fine.

My machine has the old revision one board with the 18 pin connector. However upon close inspection the cable looks perfect its entire length. The "glue" that I guess was applied to keep it firmly in the Z motor connector has dried out, cracked, and pulled away, but the ribbon is still perfect there. I could pull the cable and do a continuity check, but I fear that might do more harm than good.

Al, very good point about the vacuum generating a static charge, and something to be careful about. I spent most of my career in the integrated circuit design field. I would never get the vacuum anywhere near any of the electronics or wiring. Vacuuming the machine itself should be no more dangerous than vacuuming under your refrigerator which also has circuit boards in it. It's a common misconception that turning the power off helps avoid an ESD event. The high potential of a static charge can find (burn) a path to a lower potential irrespective.

So, any other thoughts of what to try next?

Gene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast