Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapered Candle Holders With Opposing Twists

Default Tapered Candle Holders With Opposing Twists

Dan Bergerud and I have been conversing on modifications to the original Carvewright Rotary Jig to make it a little easier to use and to calibrate. This is my first project after making most of his modifications. It's an old project that I have made before and one of the more complicated ones so I thought it would put the new modifications to a really good test. The calibration test only needed a slight advance using the arrow keys on the first attempt. After that, I ran it several more times turning the machine off and removing the jig between each try and each one was dead on the money. No adjustments using the arrow keys to advance or retard the rotation was necessary on all successive attempts.

The project itself ran perfectly the very first time and made a full revolution plus about 5% when I forced the over-carve.

I cannot overemphasize my gratitude to Dan for all of his hard work, thought and planning to make this happen. At least for me, the jig is now an absolute joy to use.

The wood is Cherry and they are about 11" tall and about 2 3/4" in diameter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CH-Cherry-4.jpg   CH-Cherry-1.jpg  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-20-2016 at 01:01 AM.
    Steve

Those are really cool candle holders. Congrats to both of you on the success of the refinements to the rotary jig. I may have to get one someday!

Steve, beautiful candle holders and great looking design.

I am so glad to hear you have the jig working so well. And, those are very nice rotary carves.

You should turn the Candle Holders in to a Project
    for sale.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdages View Post
    You should turn the Candle Holders in to a Project
    for sale.

Thanks to all for the great reviews

The procedure I used was:

1. Turn the blank into a 11 1/2" long by 2 7/8" diameter round dowel (round is optional but length needs to be exact).
    2. Drill a 3/4" diameter hole through the center lengthwise (hard to do without a lathe but possible).
    3. Turn a 2" long, snug fitting plug for both ends of the blank and glue them in flush with the end.
    4. Mount the blank in the jig and carve.
    5. After the carve is finished, Trim off the waste on both of the ends.
    6. Drill a 3/4" diameter hole about 3/4"deep in the top end.
    7. Remount in the lathe and sand a slight concave surface on the top around the hole.
    8. Hand sand or use a detail sander for cleanup and flat bottom.

I could turn this into a project for the Pattern Depot but it would have to be an advanced advanced project. The hole has to be drilled through the center first and then plugged on both ends to fit in the jig. Normally this would involve the use of a lathe. I suppose one could use a drill press for the hole or even drill it with a hand drill and then buy a dowel to fit the hole but dowels are rarely the exact size the say they are and a tight fit is required. There are lots of other considerations and possibilities but, from my experiences, the Carvewright machine cannot be used exclusively.

Before the modifications to the jig there were quite a few trial runs before finally getting an acceptable procedure and finished project. After the modifications the projects ran perfectly the first time. Both MPCs are included here so anyone can give it a try. Designer 3 is required.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-20-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    Steve

Beautiful work.
    Speaking as someone that is still always learning the Carvewright I am thankful for guys like you two are always expanding our horizons.

Is someone going to tell us about the modifiction to the jig?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    Clint
    Look here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ect-Drive-Rail

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    Clint

Clint,

Dan and I have been using the Senior Member Forum to discuss the modifications. See post #1 and post#17 here:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ect-Drive-Rail

You can also read my posts to see what I did and what worked for me.

Since they are his modifications I don't feel comfortable publishing them here in the general forum.

Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-20-2016 at 07:24 PM.
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast