Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new material for y'all to try out

Really like how the feather turned out!

Glad it worked out for you- that looks GREAT

Lawrence

Default second experience

Decided to try the 60 degree bit. Hoped there would be more of the gray showing than with the 90 degree bit. Again I got a surprise. I decided to make a small house number sign to help with 911 locating. My previous post shows a carve using the 90 and doing letters 4" tall. Since my boards are 6" tall I went with 5" numbers for visibility. Pic shows my result, went thru the board. I also found I had more shavings in my carver than I ever had since before I had dust collection attached. Pic attached. I have been using a vac system I made early on but recently decided to upgrade to one of the better systems that had been developed and shown here on the forum. The system has worked great on all my wood projects but did have more 'shavings' with my other vinyl runs than with wood. The good news was the shavings must be heavier than wood and almost all stayed lower in the machine. 15 minute carve, 20 minute cleanup.
    In a way I can understand centerline not allowing control of the depth but shouldn't it show the depth it is going to carve?? Obviously larger lettering will go deeper to attain the width needed so every time you change the height you have to set up a way to show yourself how deep you may be cutting.
    This goes to the other issue I see as to the number of passes require to make the cuts. I was in the next room while running this carve and heard a funny sounding high pitched noise and went to investigate and realized it was cutting over 1/4" deep in single passes. If I was doing this in a hardwood I'm pretty sure I would be stressing everything a lot. If I need to do a cutout with multiple passes?
    Just some thoughts. Maybe I should have posted this over in the centerline area, just some thoughts.
    Rick H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60bit2.jpg   60 bit1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by want2b View Post
    Decided to try the 60 degree bit. Hoped there would be more of the gray showing than with the 90 degree bit. Again I got a surprise. I decided to make a small house number sign to help with 911 locating. My previous post shows a carve using the 90 and doing letters 4" tall. Since my boards are 6" tall I went with 5" numbers for visibility. Pic shows my result, went thru the board. I also found I had more shavings in my carver than I ever had since before I had dust collection attached. Pic attached. I have been using a vac system I made early on but recently decided to upgrade to one of the better systems that had been developed and shown here on the forum. The system has worked great on all my wood projects but did have more 'shavings' with my other vinyl runs than with wood. The good news was the shavings must be heavier than wood and almost all stayed lower in the machine. 15 minute carve, 20 minute cleanup.
    In a way I can understand centerline not allowing control of the depth but shouldn't it show the depth it is going to carve?? Obviously larger lettering will go deeper to attain the width needed so every time you change the height you have to set up a way to show yourself how deep you may be cutting.
    This goes to the other issue I see as to the number of passes require to make the cuts. I was in the next room while running this carve and heard a funny sounding high pitched noise and went to investigate and realized it was cutting over 1/4" deep in single passes. If I was doing this in a hardwood I'm pretty sure I would be stressing everything a lot. If I need to do a cutout with multiple passes?
    Just some thoughts. Maybe I should have posted this over in the centerline area, just some thoughts.
    Rick H
    Sounds like using the outline function with a max depth would work in this instance-- for this material it would ensure you could set the depth- and you could still use a v-bit for the nice "highlighted" carve

It would be a nice feature to have a flat depth setting for the CW software for centerline similar to that in Vectric's VCarve. What it does is it creates a maximum depth the v bit will go. The negative side effect is that the carve can take significantly longer to do because it runs back and forth across the material where the "bottom" would normally go... effectively neutralizing one of the biggest positives of centerline (V-carve in vectric talk...) The positive is that you'll not carve through your material like that.

Being able to set a flat depth would also make v-carve inlay a possibility on the Carvewright-- which you guys would LOVE-- it is a very neat inlay technique I've been playing with. Here is a video showing the technique... it would be really cool to see it done on the CW and I'll bet with a little ingenuity (and tricking the machine to think the surface is .1 higher on the "stamp" carve) it could be done on the CW.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvnIGrXBAKQ

Neat seeing the material being used on the CW though - thanks for sharing it

Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 10-14-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12