Thread: new material for y'all to try out

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default possible new material for y'all to try out

Hope everyone is well and thought I'd share a new material I've found to be fun to carve. Though I used a different machine, I immediately thought of you guys when I discovered it, can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work well on the Carvewright and hope this helps someone here.

I had some scraps of coretec plus vinyl plank left from my recent kitchen remodel and thought "what the heck" I should throw it into the CNC and see what happens...

It turns out, very nice completely waterproof coasters happens.... The flooring is a 5/16 thick sandwich of cork, white vinyl, and top layer vinyl.

I made a few up for the local place that sold me the vinyl (and our new granite) and lo and behold, I now have access to their scrap bins

I tried some color filling too with paint and they came out pretty nice too, but I really like the simplicity of just "carve and walk away". 1/8 carving depth created a nice "two tone color when the v bit carved through the top layer into the second one.

Hope someone finds this interesting or useful- I plan to do some testing for other uses for this material... it cuts and carves too beautifully to ignore and at $5 a foot isn't outrageously expensive.

Again, hope everyone is well and wishing you all happy carving
    Lawrence

Last edited by lawrence; 07-20-2016 at 01:12 AM.