Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new material for y'all to try out

Default possible new material for y'all to try out

Hope everyone is well and thought I'd share a new material I've found to be fun to carve. Though I used a different machine, I immediately thought of you guys when I discovered it, can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work well on the Carvewright and hope this helps someone here.

I had some scraps of coretec plus vinyl plank left from my recent kitchen remodel and thought "what the heck" I should throw it into the CNC and see what happens...

It turns out, very nice completely waterproof coasters happens.... The flooring is a 5/16 thick sandwich of cork, white vinyl, and top layer vinyl.

I made a few up for the local place that sold me the vinyl (and our new granite) and lo and behold, I now have access to their scrap bins

I tried some color filling too with paint and they came out pretty nice too, but I really like the simplicity of just "carve and walk away". 1/8 carving depth created a nice "two tone color when the v bit carved through the top layer into the second one.

Hope someone finds this interesting or useful- I plan to do some testing for other uses for this material... it cuts and carves too beautifully to ignore and at $5 a foot isn't outrageously expensive.

Again, hope everyone is well and wishing you all happy carving
    Lawrence

Last edited by lawrence; 07-20-2016 at 01:12 AM.

Hi Lawrence. Haven't seen you here in a long time. Don't know if you have checked your Inbox, thanks for the advice. I'm still learning.

Hello Lawrence,

Good to see you here again.
    Thanks for sharing. I some time back instated a lot of that
    type of flooring for a friend of mine.
    I will have to give it a try.

Were are you these days and what have you been up to?

Have you used the V60 and V90 on it ???
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Good to hear from you again Lawrence. I don't mean to be nosy but, besides the project you posted here, what else have you been making with your CNC? Also, if you are still using Vectric software how do you like it?
    Steve

Nice to see your still coming to say hi. Nice find will have to keep a look out for this flooring.

Lawrence,

Good to see that you are still using the ole brain to come up with new ideas for your cnc machine and it is very nice of you to pass the idea on to us Carvewright users.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Thanks guys- I hope this info helps someone here

Robert, I tried carving it into a 3d carving and wasn't impressed... but the v carving worked really well (I prefer 60 degree for small text and haven't tried the 90)

Steve, I don't mind you being nosy at all- I appreciate that you guys are asking what I've been up to In addition to a kitchen refurb the last couple of months (and a trip to Alaska) I've been starting up a business making gifts and memorabilia (primarily for military and first responders but I have also been doing some high-end corporate gifts) While building my business plan and getting things in line, I have received several grants to help set up my business which are funding a large portion of my capital purchases, including a Epilog Helix laser. This process has been both exciting and educational and I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to attend and graduate from several entrepreneurship courses including the military's boots to business, the UCONN School of Business Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans, business accelerator and the VA Vocational Rehabilitation program. I made my first official sales last week and am working now to get government contracts with the VA and DOD.

Through this time, I've been experimenting with my CNC and am preparing to buy a second machine very soon. I won't go into detail here on the projects etc (I don't want to overstep my welcome here on the Carvewright forum) but am enjoying the process - especially the control - of every part of a carve. This is allowing me to REALLY dial in the most effective way to carve multiples of an object (for example, I am selling aircraft tail flashes similar to those I made on my Carvewright and have the time down to about 20% of the time it used to take me to make one)

This being said, I still often miss my carvewright. I still think that, especially for the hobby user who often makes one off items, you can't beat the speed and capability the Carvewright offers. I almost bought a nearly new one about a month ago (I even pulled the cash out and had the lady on the mainland waiting for me)... but I backed out, mostly for emotional reasons, but also because I really do want to become proficient at the software I am using (VCarve and soon to be aspire) instead of leaning on the one that I know like the back of my hand (Designer) which is less compatible with my other machines. For several reasons (the length of carve ability, the small footprint, portability) I could see getting myself another Carvewright someday as I think it really does serve a place in a shop that has other existing CNC machines, but now isn't the time for me.

In the meantime though, I hope to be able to continue to share anything that I come across that might benefit you guys here- I appreciate your making me still feel welcome!

Thanks again and I hope everyone continues to be well,
    Wishing you happy carving
    Lawrence

Lawrence,

I like the V60 over the V90 and use it better then 90% of the time.

Good luck on all you are doing and setting off to do.

Robert
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Good hearing from you Lawrence. Best of luck on your adventures and keep carving!

Default Thank you Lawrence

Lawrence's suggestion regarding using the Coretec has stuck in my mind. Finally found a place that has some in stock and after telling them what I wanted to do with it they gave me a board & a scrap piece. I offered to cut their business name into the the board and I tried three different cuts using the same letters to get a comparison. The whole board actually turned out better than I expected as I had forgotten to remove the feathering. When I saw it start to appear I was mad at myself but when it was finished it turned out to be a good mistake. I wasn't expecting the gray outline in the letters with the brown facing but it turns out the face coating is very thin with a gray layer next and white for the rest of the board. I have now also done a grayish board with the same results and it really looks great but I didn't get a pic of it.
    The boards are 1/4" thick so I stuck them on a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to size using double sided tap. I set the depth of carve on the raster carves to .1". I had shied away from the centerline initially being afraid it would got to deep. The board is 6" wide, 48" long, and the letters are slightly over 4". Carve time on the raster sign was approx 1:30, centerline said it would be about 30 min but I haven't done one yet.
    Thanks again Lawrence for the idea, not sure where I'm going with it but who knows. One thought is since it's all vinyl it should stand up great outside. Might make lasting house signs for names & numbers.
    Rick H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RASTER 1-4 FEATHER.jpg   cortec.jpg   RASTER NO FEATHER.jpg   CENTERLINE 90.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast