Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has LHR mitagated the Y bearing problem?

Default Has LHR mitagated the Y bearing problem?

I have been busy so didn't notice 330 hrs on my C machine since last PM. 330 hrs ago, Feb or 2015, I had to replace I had to replace the Y motor assy. because the encoder was failing. Today I replaced the cut motor brushes- and they needed it - and the Y bearings - and they did not need it. The old Y had elongated holes for the motor mounting so the gear clearance could be adjusted. the new one has hole just the right size to fit the screws. With the small gear tight up against the large one, the motor bearings seem to be taking some of the load off the cantilevered Y gear bearings. When I do maintenance like this, I write the hours and action on masking tape ( I use the tan stuff - it is sticker than the blue) and attach it to the other end of the machine.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    The old Y had elongated holes for the motor mounting so the gear clearance could be adjusted. the new one has hole just the right size to fit the screws. With the small gear tight up against the large one, the motor bearings seem to be taking some of the load off the cantilevered Y gear bearings.
    Clint
    This is something I wondered about when I fist took my Y motor pack apart years ago. I tried to adjust the motor gear to take some of the load but it did not really work. In order for the motor to take some of the load, the gear clearance had to be zero. With zero gear clearance, the gears were very noisy. I had to adjust the gear clearance to be slightly excessive so that when the belt pulled on the big gear, the clearance turned out right. It was a bit tricky and that is why I think the new motor packs no longer have the adjustment slots.

My solution to the Y gearbox problem was to make a new gearbox with a larger bearing. Recall: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...765#post220765

I remember that thread; I have a couple of those bearings in my parts drawer. But these ran almost a year and a half and did not really need to be replaced. I think on my C machine I will go by the wiggelyness of the gear rather than hours.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    I remember that thread; I have a couple of those bearings in my parts drawer. But these ran almost a year and a half and did not really need to be replaced. I think on my C machine I will go by the wiggelyness of the gear rather than hours.
    Clint
    The problem with doing that is that by the time the gear starts to wiggle you are likely to have wear on the shaft which a new bearing will not fix. The reason for replacing by hours is to replace the bearing before it wears the shaft. In the old days when LHR sold the shaft and gear it was not so bad if you wore the shaft but now that they make you buy the whole motor assembly the cost is really bad especially since you are buying a motor you do not need.

Did i read somewhere that you can order that gear if you call them even though it is not listed? Or the whole gearbox?
    Seems ridiculous to have to buy the whole motor assembly for a maintenance item.
    If thats the case someone needs to start making them and selling them aftermarket.......
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by blhutchens View Post
    Did i read somewhere that you can order that gear if you call them even though it is not listed?

I do not think so. See (product link removed)
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 09-19-2017 at 10:40 AM.

7. Default

Did i read somewhere that you can order that gear if you call them even though it is not listed? Or the whole gearbox?
    Seems ridiculous to have to buy the whole motor assembly for a maintenance item.
    If thats the case someone needs to start making them and selling them aftermarket.......
    The last time I tried to order just the gear it was no. I was not sure if they just were out of stock or they stopped selling it. This is something that LHR has to fix. there is no good reason they could not sell the gear by itself. I can't imagine the Factory in china can't make some extra for parts. I think its just a way to force us to spend more money. I thought about trying to just create the shaft and then pressing it out of the gear. If the gear is not damaged it would seem that might be possible. I would hope someone from LHR would chime in on why they can't sell this separate especially since it is a known issue.

Every time I ask a question like this my password doesn't work and I have to reset. What a PITA. I guess i will grin an bear it and quit asking questions.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

LOL... I get that! But, the windows updates last week caused my login info to be rest, and I had to log in again. Well, I believe that's what it was anyway.

Every time I ask a question like this my password doesn't work and I have to reset. What a PITA. I guess i will grin an bear it and quit asking questions.
    Brent,

Do you check the "remember me" or is it "keep me logged in" check box when you try to log in? I do not think your issue is do to you trying to ask a question.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast