Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bit won’t touch sliding bar

I was getting ready to try cutting my pattern again. I was planning to put small pieces of wood, one on the bar by the brass roller and one on the sliding bar to try to fool the machine when I got an idea. I loosened the bit and pulled it out a little farther and tightened it and tried again. Success! This made the bit long enough to touch the bars even though my RC couldn’t get past the wood, and my RC is no bigger than a QC. But what would happen if I was carving a piece of wood 5” thick, the maximum allowable thickness? The truck couldn’t go down far enough for the bit to touch the bar, even if the chuck could get past the wood.

The CT and the QC cannot hit the wood. The z truck would bottom out first. Only the Rock hangs down below the truck.

For the thicker boards the machine knows when it is near the end of z travel and gives up trying to touch. That is when it asks for the thickness. I did not know that the Rock hitting the wood was a problem. I wonder if others have had the problem. It sounds to me that you would have a problem with thicker boards. If you tried to carve a 2" board, what would happen?

I don't know what happen. When I have time I'll try and jet you know. Thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12