Thread: Bit stuck in chuck

Default Bit stuck in chuck

I have a B machine that the carve bit has somehow allowed the set screws on the qc adapter to come loose and become wedged in the QC Chuck... yes you read that right I still have the QC adapter... I due to finances had to buy a replacement QC chuck... what I am curious of is since I can not remove the bit while the chuck is on the machine... any idea how to remove the chuck once new qc arrives? I will need to go from top rather then bottom...

There are many, many old posts on the QC removal problem. You should search the old posts.

For example: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...hlight=removal
    Last edited by bergerud; 07-13-2016 at 06:50 PM.

I did not read the old threads but the "Sling Shot" worked for me.... Place a rag on the belts to protect the bit... Pull back the QC outer Sleeve with both hands and let it SNAP down... It will SHOOT the bit out....

Check for a worn QC and Bit Holders....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The plastic outer cover of the chuck does slide off. This might help you get the adapter out. In fact, the adapter, jammed by the screws, might come out as the cover slides off.

Not a fix for your problem...but....I struggled with the QC problem(s) for way too long. Get rid of the darn thing and convert to the current CarveTight assembly. $160 + bits....at least it fixes one of the major problems. Rubber belt conversion $140 (+ board tracking encoder) fixes another of the major problems if you still have the sandpaper ones. Now if I can just get my machine to run...

As I remember it ( it haws been a while), you can hold the shaft from the top using the slot the drive cable fits in. Then undo the QC with the proper flat wrench.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by ronboley View Post
    Not a fix for your problem...but....I struggled with the QC problem(s) for way too long. Get rid of the darn thing and convert to the current CarveTight assembly. $160 + bits....at least it fixes one of the major problems. Rubber belt conversion $140 (+ board tracking encoder) fixes another of the major problems if you still have the sandpaper ones. Now if I can just get my machine to run...
    I have already done the belt upgrade by necessity due to a sandpaper belt roll up. Regarding the Carve Tight I agree the investment from what I have read would be a good one. However, at this time finances won't allow so had to order another qc to get me by. However, after doing some reading it is appearing to me that considering my machine it may and current bits that the Rock chuck may be an acceptable alternative that is a bit less investment considering it can use by existing bits? Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ronboley View Post
    Rubber belt conversion $140 (+ board tracking encoder) fixes another of the major problems if you still have the sandpaper ones.
    I have well over 900 hours on my B machine with sandpaper belts and no issues. To what major problems are you referring?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by waynedazey View Post
    I have already done the belt upgrade by necessity due to a sandpaper belt roll up. Regarding the Carve Tight I agree the investment from what I have read would be a good one. However, at this time finances won't allow so had to order another qc to get me by. However, after doing some reading it is appearing to me that considering my machine it may and current bits that the Rock chuck may be an acceptable alternative that is a bit less investment considering it can use by existing bits? Is this correct?
    Rock chucks are no longer sold new, you would have to find a used one, I would go with the Carve tight It is easier and if you upgrade to rotary adapter or other software upgrades you are assured compatibility.

My experience with the sandpaper belts was constant "rolling up", tearing and poor tracking. I did all of the checks multiples of times and went thru three belts before I gave up and got the rubber ones...after which I've had no further problems. This experience was over 2-3 years with the sandpaper and 2-3 years with the rubber so I'm convinced the rubber is the way to go. I also tried a new QC and had almost immediate problems again so when I went to the CarveTight the problems stopped.