Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would be the best way to carve this text?

Default What would be the best way to carve this text?

Hello,
    I'm making a sign where they don't want the numbers centerline but rather "engraved" according to them. What would be the best way to do that? I tried inverting the raster text and while it looks good from a distance when you zoom in you can see that its not clean. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	283.PNG 
Views:	73 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	81302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83.PNG 
Views:	55 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	81300

I have had a few customers asking for the same, engraved, and when I show them how it looks as centerline they say "yes" that is what I want. You might show them how the numbers look as "outline"...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

That was my first thought also and sent them a picture with it outlined and they asked if I can change the numbers to be engraved. They sent me this pic and they asked for the numbers to be engraved just like the numbers are on this sign.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13530721_10100604864498998_1083046486_n.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	81303

Post what you have and see what some of us can do to make it better.

I'm still using designer 1.187.

283 Ridge Road.mpc

That is some bizarre behavior. I changed the bit optimization to high and the ridge goes away. When I change the bit optimization to best the ridge is present. Went back to high and the ridge went away. That may be a simple fix but unusual. Hopefully someone has a better solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW font behavior.jpg  

Create a carve region.
    Place the text in the carve region as raster.
    Use a broad lined font like Arial or Arial Black for best results.
    Set the text to Merge: Subtractive.
    Play with the depths, heights, and draft for different effects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sign Example.png   Sign Example2.png   Sign Example3.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-06-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    Steve

Another way is to cover the text with a zero depth rectangle. Bit optimization best and clip exclusive. I also added small draft to the text.

(Those artifacts are due to the floor feather feature which creates a floored boundary when the pattern size is altered.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default What would be the best way to carve this text?

Is there a way to use another bit or another setting for cutting recessed lettering like this to make the carving cut faster? I made some park signs that were eight feet long with ten inch letters and at the lowest settings it took eight hours per sign.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    That is some bizarre behavior. I changed the bit optimization to high and the ridge goes away. When I change the bit optimization to best the ridge is present. Went back to high and the ridge went away. That may be a simple fix but unusual. Hopefully someone has a better solution.
    I have noticed this peculiarity using Bit Optimization: Best as well with patterns that are recessed, such as the lake maps that I make. It occurs right at the edge of the pattern where the pattern is at zero depth. In most cases I do not use Bit Optimization: Best to avoid this, but in some cases other parts of the pattern need it. In those cases I find myself sanding down the entire surface of the board to eliminate the "ridge".

For engraved lettering I would avoid Bit Optimization: Best if possible to eliminate this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast