Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would be the best way to carve this text?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Another way is to cover the text with a zero depth rectangle. Bit optimization best and clip exclusive.
    I tried your trick on my lake map and it doesn't appear to work. The "ridge" is barely noticeable in the rendering (right side), but when carved it is very noticeable. The renderings are from Designer 3 with Floor Feather turned off, but I get the same results with Designer 1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake map.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	655.8 KB 
ID:	81310

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I tried your trick on my lake map and it doesn't appear to work. The "ridge" is barely noticeable in the rendering (right side), but when carved it is very noticeable. The renderings are from Designer 3 with Floor Feather turned off, but I get the same results with Designer 1.

Name:	Lake map.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	655.8 KB 
ID:	81310
    Interesting. There is a difference, however, in how Designer 1 and 3 treat the floor feather. Designer 1 actually adds a border of floored pixels to the pattern. If the pattern was created in Designer 1 and then used in Designer 3, I think the floored border comes as part of the pattern and cannot be turned off. I have had to use the trim tool in PE to restore the pattern. I experimented quite a lot with this (not that I can remember what I did) when I was trying to convince LHR to abandon the floor feather in 1.187.

Now that's interesting - I didn't know that about Designer 1. I did create the pattern and mpc in Designer 1. Attached is the "raw" image that I imported into Pattern Editor to make the pattern. I just tried importing the image in Designer 3, and it appears in the rendering that applying Bit Optimization: Best does not add a ridge, but I think I will try carving a sample to see.

Name:	Whitefish bathy modified 3.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	81312
    My image has white pixels at the shoreline. I just import it and send it to the library in the pattern editor. I invert it when I place it on my board. So what exactly would Designer 1 do to this image? Is black or white the "floor"? A row of what color pixels are added? Is it something that I can see if I export the pattern as an image?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Another way is to cover the text with a zero depth rectangle. Bit optimization best and clip exclusive. I also added small draft to the text
    This will work for this project. Thank you for fixing my mpc. Later when I have extra time I'm going to re-read through this thread and experiment with the different methods mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mulgrew View Post
    This will work for this project. Thank you for fixing my mpc. Later when I have extra time I'm going to re-read through this thread and experiment with the different methods mentioned.
    I am not sure now. Dick says it looks ok on the screen but still will not carve right. So, I do not know. My advice may not be good. As an extra precaution, maybe you should remove the bit optimization best from the text.

6. Default

Hmm. I tried turning off the optimization and it there is a noticeable difference how jagged the lines become. It looks fine from a regular view but if you zoom in and turn the board a bit it's really rough. I don't know how noticeable this will be in the completed sign.

I just packed up 10 city name signs to go under a multinational company's clocks and they had a similar request (ship tomorrow). I did raster puffed and inverted. Nice and round bottomed and the edges were not ragged like a plain raster.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

8. Default

Thanks Clint, I may make a few last minute adjustments but it's looking pretty good in designer. I'm going to try and run it tomorrow and I'll post a picture here how it turns out. Is puffing an add on? I don't believe I have that option.

9. Default

When I import a line art image and I out line it and want to carve it 1/8 inch deep (image is 12x12 inch) and upload it it takes 3 hours est to carve. when I take the same amount of line that I draw in designer it est. about 6 minutes The lines around the image raw are thicker.Any way in Designer to make the lines trace small Thanks Bert

Quote Originally Posted by papawbummie View Post
    When I import a line art image and I out line it and want to carve it 1/8 inch deep (image is 12x12 inch) and upload it it takes 3 hours est to carve. when I take the same amount of line that I draw in designer it est. about 6 minutes The lines around the image raw are thicker.Any way in Designer to make the lines trace small Thanks Bert
    Post an example of your mpc and line art image please.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast