Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JULY 2016 Project of the Month - The Little Artist's Crayon Caddy!

Default JULY 2016 Project of the Month - The Little Artist's Crayon Caddy!

Hello,

This fun Crayon Caddy project makes a great gift for all the Little Artists out there! It features a “giant crayon” handle for youngsters to grab onto for transporting their crayon collection to their favorite art studio area. The caddy will easily hold 140 crayons or so. The two-sided bin allows the child to stow crayons on one side and perhaps colored markers on the other, if desired.

The caddy can be finished/painted as you like. The sample is shown with a special personalized (for my granddaughter) crayon label wrapped and glued around the crayon handle. A clear topcoat finish applied over the label protects it from wear.

I’ve included a PDF file of several color variations of a crayon label for you to choose from. I also included a CorelDRAW file, Adobe Illustrator file, InkScape file and an EPS file for those of you who may own and know how to operate graphics programs that will allow you to customize the label yourself from these file types. The font for the text used on the labels is “Arial Rounded MT Bold”.

Print out the crayon label of your choice on 24# printer paper using a color LASER printer. (Do NOT use an InkJet printout, as the color will smear and ruin your project). You can get your crayon label printed at your local office supply or printer service if you don’t own a color laser printer yourself. The laser toner helps seal the 24# paper (20# is more common - you need to ask for the 24# paper) and the laser toner won’t smear or run when glued and when the finish is applied over it.

The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The overall dimensions are about 8.5" wide x 6.5" deep x 5" tall.

Main items you will need:
    1) The Project Files (included):
    • Crayon_Divider.mpc
    • Crayon_End_Panels.mpc
    • Crayon_Front-Back_Panels.mpc
    • Crayon_Base.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Divider: 0.75" x 7" x 26"
    End Panels: 0.5" x 5.5" x 19"
    Front-Back Panels: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24"
    Base: 0.5" x 5.5" x 15"

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) Sandpaper, clamps, wood glue, spray adhesive (if wrapping crayon label), stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details. A spindle sander and small belt sander is also recommended to speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Little Artist’s Crayon Caddy made from Select Pine:

• Three coats of thinned Bulls Eye SealCoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol) on all parts, sanding between coats

• Three coats Krylon clear Acrylic spray

• Applied/glued on paper crayon label using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive

• Applied several light coats of Krylon clear Acrylic spray to seal the paper label

• Applied one coat full-strength Bulls Eye SealCoat over the label and entire “crayon” handle

• Applied two final coats of Krylon clear Acrylic spray overall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machining_550x413.png   crayon-wraps-graphic.png   wrapping-crayon-label550x413.png   Crayon_Caddy_angle_view_550x456.png  

Crayon_Caddy_top_view_550x495.png   Crayon_Caddy_430x430.png  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Cute project Micheal. You did a wonderful job! I can see using the box for many things.
    Heather

This months pattern looks like a good one for the kids and their crayon colors. Nice job Michael!!

Thank you!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Nice project!

I just purchased this to make for my granddaughter- very cool project! She will love it. But, I can't find the CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, InkScape or EPS files to modify the crayon wrapper. All I see are the PDFs and MPCs. Where do I download them?
    Mark W

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dubya View Post
    I just purchased this to make for my granddaughter- very cool project! She will love it. But, I can't find the CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, InkScape or EPS files to modify the crayon wrapper. All I see are the PDFs and MPCs. Where do I download them?
    Hi Mark,

All those files should be included. After you unzipped the master file, did they not show up in the folder where you unzipped? (see photo for a list of all the included files)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails all-included-files.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-11-2016 at 03:27 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Hi Michael,
    I went back and unzipped the file several times using a couple different extractors and those files seem to be missing.
    Mark W

Hi Mark,

Ok, thank you for checking. Please send me an email via my website contact form (my CarveBuddy website link appears below), and I will email you the missing files.

There is another issue that needs correcting...the Crayon_Base.mpc has a board thickness setting of 0.75", but it should be 0.5" thickness as specified in the PDF Instructions. You can go ahead and change that. However, that particular MPC would cut correctly on a 0.5"-thick board anyway, even though the MPC has a 0.75" thickness setting. That's because the MPC is only cutting a series of slots based upon the top surface of the board, so the MPC board thickness discrepancy won't affect the outcome either way.

I will contact CarveWright today about the missing files and also see if the Crayon_Base.mpc board thickness setting can be made without affecting their licensing system.

Thank you very much for letting me know about the missing files!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

You can just revise the protected mpc and then replace it without having to re-license the whole project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast