Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now that the conference is over, What did YOU learn.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    You could stand in there for hours and still not see every detail.
    Ain't that the truth!! I visited it 4 nights in a row this trip, and still haven't seen every detail! It's unbelievable.

Here's 3 photos to drool over...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fireplace_1.png   family_crest_1.png   bookshelves_1.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 06-29-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added photos
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

The conference gave me a better understanding of the software tools I had and was not using correctly and convinced me to get some others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are still here....no need to spread rumors and unsubstantiated concerns.

Most people ARE finding their answers online under Support or just not having any issue.
    I'm not trying to spread or start any rumors. Just voicing my opinion and observations and thought it would stimulate more posts. With comments like this I think I am starting to understand why the post count is diminishing.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Ain't that the truth!! I visited it 4 nights in a row this trip, and still haven't seen every detail! It's unbelievable.

That fireplace is really beautiful. What a work of art. I can only dream of making such a fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post

Michael...is that story panel the one that they used red blood cells as the textured background? Is that the Biology one?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Michael...is that story panel the one that they used red blood cells as the textured background? Is that the Biology one?
    Yes, I believe it is! I forgot about that - lots of details are subtle. You almost need a book with a chapter on each panel telling the "whole story".

I don't know if viewers are noticing all the 3D-carved heads. Each head (except one) is a real person that relates to each "story panel" above every book shelf section. The one head that is an unknown person is the Viking head.

Each divider between the book sections (and the gun collection sections), is adorned with detailed carvings of vines. As I recall, Chris told us each divider project took about 12 hours on BEST to carve. I think each divider is at least 8 feet long.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 06-29-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

7. Default

The two statutes on the sides of the fireplace seem to exceed the depth that the carvewright can carve. Can anyone say how these were carved? The small heads I am assuming were carved with the rotary attachment or maybe the deep bits, but the tall statutes seem to be deeper or thicker than what I thought could be done. I would love to see and learn more about this project.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I'm not trying to spread or start any rumors. Just voicing my opinion and observations and thought it would stimulate more posts. With comments like this I think I am starting to understand why the post count is diminishing.
    Wow Steve, I am surprised at the response from LHR, especially since you are usually one of the LHR cheerleaders. You jumped on me once for criticizing and usually I am the critic.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the conference and I believe learned quite a lot. A question I often ask attendees is, "What is your CW Forum username?". Many will tell me they don't regularly participate in the forum (did not know it existed or just plain forgot about it). Naturally, I explain that the forum is one of their best resources for help with answers to just about any questions they may have and a great place to post pictures of their projects for their fellow carvers to enjoy! I hope some (or all) of them will participate in the forum in the future.

People appreciated the live, hands-on demonstrations (scanning setup, using various jigs, options for place on corner, live carving, dust collection tips, machine maintenance tips and so on). I heard positive feedback galore over the three days. This always makes me feel good for them! I also try to make contact with each attendee at every conference at least once to "check-in" with them, find out what they use their CW's for and answer their questions. Sometimes it's easier for folks to ask things one-on-one. I love it, and am always glad to help when I can. I encountered only one (very nice) fellow who confided in me that he felt he was "too dumb" to comprehend everything. Of course, I encouraged him that this was not so, and recommended he augment the teachings by going to the CW Support site and watch appropriate tutorials to help "lock in" what was taught and demonstrated at the conference. I know he will "get it"!

I presented techniques for creating, finessing and then incorporating scanned models for use with CNC projects. This included creating full-3D models via photogrammetry and I think this garnered the most attention (mainly because it is FREE and anyone can do it). I made good use of the CarveWright Pattern Sculptor software to show how to make good-looking relief models from full-3D models. Joe showed some of his techniques the day before too, so this dove-tailed well in the flow of learning. I actually heard a few "ooh's and ahh's" coming from the audience when they saw how simple it can be to go from 3D model to a PTN relief for carving using Sculptor. I've been thinking I need to create a video tutorial or two on this topic. It is certainly a fun and useful technique to learn!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails intro-screen.png   scan-presentation-overview.png   photogrammertry-screen-example.png   photogram_horse_cw_layout.png  

Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by normrichards View Post
    The two statutes on the sides of the fireplace seem to exceed the depth that the carvewright can carve. Can anyone say how these were carved? The small heads I am assuming were carved with the rotary attachment or maybe the deep bits, but the tall statutes seem to be deeper or thicker than what I thought could be done. I would love to see and learn more about this project.
    Chris and Joe came across a pallet of 2"-thick Oak a few years ago. They determined to use that for creating the massive fireplace carvings. They sliced large 3D models into 2"-thick (or less) slices, carved them and then glued the slices back together. It's a common technique used by many of us, but especially in the film, sign, theme park and stage prop industries.

EDIT: I should mention that carving these thick slices required the use of the 1/8" Deep Carving Bit (and I think they used the 1/16" Deep Carving Bit here and there, as well). Deep carving capability is a feature of the Designer Pro software (i.e., the upgrade to Designer Basic that comes included with every machine).
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 06-29-2016 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added info about deep carving bits
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast