Thread: inlays?

Default inlays?

Does the Project Designer PRO 3 have a inlay feature?
    Searching thru the form and really don't see much on doing inlay work.

Trying to find more reason to upgrade.
    John

Unfortunately it does not. Pocket cuts "was" one of the features that was suppose to be in 2.0 but it got put on the back burners (I think it got burnt up) to get some of the other features finished up for the release that year at the conference. It has been requested several times to be done since then.

Inlays can be done with the CW but it does take a couple of test cuts to get the two parts to fit up correctly. The pocket has to be drawn up manually by using the line tool.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I have done inlays. Carve out an area the shape you need 1/8" deep (no feather0. Then outline the shape and vector cut the outline 1/8" deep with the 1/16" cutting bit to square up the edges. Copy the outline to another MPC and cut it out using the 1/16" cutting bit with a -1/16 inset on your inlay material.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    I have done inlays. Carve out an area the shape you need 1/8" deep (no feather0. Then outline the shape and vector cut the outline 1/8" deep with the 1/16" cutting bit to square up the edges. Copy the outline to another MPC and cut it out using the 1/16" cutting bit with a -1/16 inset on your inlay material.
    Clint
    Hi Clint, and thank you for this enlightening info.

I realize that this, from you, is going back to nearly a year ago, but I'd like to ask something. I have owned a Carvewright C-machine for the better part of 3-1/2 years, now, and had done very, very little with it. Now, I have become extremely interested in turning pens. At this point, I wish to elevate my pens to a higher level, by doing some inlay work on them.

Do you think that pen blanks might be a bit too small to even THINK about journeying down the inlay path, with them? I usually work with 3/4"x 3/4"x 5" blanks, and would love to inlay some crosses in a number of my pens. I hope to find that it WOULD be possible, with my machine.

God Bless,
    Nathan
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan