Thread: Issues on design - decorate with text aligning, and clipping altering depths.

Default Issues on design - decorate with text aligning, and clipping altering depths.

So the attached PTN file is my problem file.

I have two circles I want to decorate with text. I want the one, 'ALABAMA' to be centered across the top. The other, 'CRIMSON TIDE' should be centered across the bottom. It should also be flipped, reading left to right. (see the picture of the logo, if you're not familiar with it and in case I described that poorly.)
    I first tried this with arcing the text in a regular text tool - but that distorts the letters greatly along the arc (much like the 'decorate with text' does if you select 'warp to fit' for the glyph mode. Is there a way to turn off the warp to fit in the standard text tool with an arc?
    And if I cannot get the text tool to NOT warp the type, how can I fix the circles decorated with text to align as desired?

Second issue; the central circle SHOULD be set to 0.125" depth. The 'A' should be 0" depth. The larger circle should be 0" depth. The connected lines tool shape should be 0.125" depth. The text will be carved to the centerline depth. This is how it is all set up.

However, because of the overlapping shapes of different depths, I had to use grouping, and clipping options. But when I do, the central circle drops down to something like 0.375" depth (guessing - it still says it is 0.125"), and the 'A' in the center is about 0.125" above that, roughly 0.25" from the surface. Not sure why this interaction is happening, nor how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ACT.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

How is this? I used arcs for the text and changed the large circle from merge subtract to clip exclusive.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I had switched from clip to merge - but I think I was using clip on the rectangle, not the large circle.
    And it never even occurred to me to use two arcs versus a circle.

Good lord I get tired of playing with these things so much, and then coming here and finding out I was so close but did it just a little wrong.

One of these days I may get to the point where I feel like I actually know what I am doing, versus just playing around with it.
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Text on a circle does not work very well most of the time, if at all. The arc method is the work around. What had me stumped was the flip/rotate on the bottom text. By the time I had that figured out Dan had already posted your fix.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.