Thread: Chuck

Default Chuck

This machine seems to be down more than it works. Have been having problems getting the bits out. Really tight and it takes work to get them out. Now I can't get one to stay in! To insert the bit I have to loosen the screw most of the way. The bit snaps in and the screw won't tighten. Bit falls out.
    Very frustrating. Ideas welcome.

Check to see if there is a burr on the part that tightens up to the bit. You can take the screw completely out so that the part will drop out of the chuck. Just make sure you have a rag or something else to catch it when it drops.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Here is a link to a post that has some great pictures of the part that holds in the collet/bit:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...-tight-spindle

I didn't take the screw all the way. Don't want to not be able to get it back in. If I stick my "pinky" in the chuck it tightens up on it just fine. Sadly, my pinky is worthless for carving. To get the bits in I have to open it all the way and then the screw just spins as if it's not biting on the back side of the collet/chuck. Having the dust collector in the way is just the added fun.
    An aside: This machine is finicky beyond belief. I spend as much time adjusting and calling for service as I ever do with it actually running. Is it just my machine or is this what is considered normal?

If you take a look at the pictures, you will see that the screw doesn't actually engage the collet, it pushes against a curved piece that presses against the collet. That small curved piece may be slightly askew. We used a mirror and reflected flashlight to see up into the spindle. You may need to use something like a stubby screwdriver to spin it back in place.

I only need to turn the set screw about 3 turns to get the collet in or out. Sometimes you need to tap on the spindle to jar it loose, but that goes away with practice getting it up in there pretty straight before tightening.

Having that dust collector will save you hrs in cleaning and trashed parts.. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but it really is worth the aggravation in installing the bits

Sometimes when a bit seems to be "stuck" I wiggle the allen wrench up and down to wiggle the barrel. Rub a coating of WD40 on the collet. Aside from lubing vertical shafts and the Y and Z rollers with WD40 and keeping the dust down, my machines run with little attention. Sometimes the wood is a problem - warped or cupped or even worse and with no workaround, twisted.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I took the curved piece out, cleaned up the little bit of gunk from it, clean the socket, put it back in and it still won't bite. It only bites if there is no bit. I have to back it way off to get a bit in and then the set screw won't bite and tighten. Again, used my finger to be sure the shaft is clear and everything lined up. No go. Frustrating.

Tony
    We took a spindle chuck apart to look for possible causes to your problem, see pictures. The "spindle buildup" picture shows the proper orientation of the shoe (the part the screw tightens against) and the screw, although ours is not showing the small lock washer on the chuck from an older machine we are rebuilding. By your description "I have to back it way off to get a bit in and then the set screw won't bite and tighten" it sounds like the shoe is backwards.
    Other possible causes could be:
    A buildup of saw dust stopping the shoe from fully seating, check for a buildup.
    Burrs in the bore the shoe travels in. I would expect this to be unlikely as the parts seem hardened, but worth checking.

We would recommend:
    1-Removing the shoe completely.
    2-Install the screw and verify it screws through the spindle chuck. You will feel it come out the other side of the chuck.
    3-Remove screw.
    4-Install a bit (use block or tape to hold it up in place).
    5-Install the shoe without screw. This may take a little fussing with to get installed fully. Turn chuck so you can see to orient the screw hole in shoe with screw hole in chuck.
    6-Install screw with lock washer. We included a picture to show the relative position of the screw head to the chuck when fully assembled.

Hope this helps.
    Butch and Dian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle buildup.jpg   Spindle inside.jpg   screw installed no shoe.JPG   shoe installed no screw.JPG  

Final assembled.JPG  

Butch & Dian
    Thank you for the additional input. The oddest thing about this is that I had a bit in the machine and took it out, but it was tough to do so. Had to back off the set screw almost all the way and still had to work to get it out. Without doing anything else I put a different bit in and the screw would not bite. It's been difficult to get bits out for a while.
    I took the shoe out and cleaned off a small bit of gunk/dust. Cleaned out the hole. With no bit in place the shoe sets correctly (I can feel it with my finger) and the screw bites and then tightens.
    It makes zero sense that it would quit working when all I did was change bits. Now it won't take any bit.
    This machine breaks/fails more than any other device I've heard of. If wasn't for this forum I'd have shipped it back a long time ago.
    Thanks again

Called tech support today. It never occurred to me that the set screw would strip out on the end, but it did. Got a new one and now it works. Being very careful on how much I tighten it.
    Thanks again to all of you for the input.