Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color bleeding on V carves

Default Color bleeding on V carves

I have this problem frequently on signs that I do V carve lettering and graphics on. Mostly happens on the softer woods, pine, poplar but sometimes maple. I'm guessing it's the fibers getting torn and allowing the color to leach in, surely there is a way to fix it? I always spray shellac on prior to the paint to seal it but maybe I need to do more? More sanding just makes it worse most times. Any help is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3671.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	947.4 KB 
ID:	81086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3675.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	953.7 KB 
ID:	81087Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3677.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	951.0 KB 
ID:	81088
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Try using Marsh spay ink. It doesn't bleed and dries quickly. I get it from Amazon with Prime for less than $5 a can with shipping. Here's one I just finished:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160609_095049592 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	81090

This one is cedar which is quite soft. I spayed the ink on bare wood after machining and light sanding.

"Marsh Stencil Paint" is the way to go. I've even seen a few put adhesive shelf paper on the board BEFORE carving so when its done, paint it and remove paper... NO sanding needed.

I'll have to try the Marsh stuff. I usually just spray it with clear, paint the vee carve with brush on acrylics and respray with clear after sanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I have had some success with the Marsh inks but you can still get some issues in porous woods like OAK where the ink gets down into the pores. I think a combination of a stencil film applied prior to the carve and then using the ink is probably the only real cure for this problem.
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Ok I Put my 2 cents it too, I hand paint the letters with Helmsman Spar Urethane, just brush it in the v groove and cover the top of the lettering, then sand off the excess, Ido this on cypress and works fine.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Looking for a Spray film I can buy locally came up with this interesting product... http://www.autozone.com/landing/page...der-spray-film - It's a spray on film for automotive but possibly it would work for protecting not carved areas of a V-carve?
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

For a v-carve where everything is carved below the surface of the board, spray two coats of clear, wax free shellac (sanding sealer) on the surface and carvings. When dry, spray or hand paint the lettering/carvings. Sand off the surface. The shellac will keep the paint from bleeding and is compatible with just about all finishes. If you use a lacquer based sanding sealer don't use urethane as a finish. Over time it will peel off.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-24-2016 at 10:50 AM.
    Steve

I just use a very thin coat of varnish.

After carving and lettering I spray with a Poly twice letting it dry between coats. I paint the letters with acrylic and use LP air to blow out the excess. When dry sand flush. If I don't do the poly I get bleeding.

Latest project shipped doing the command board now.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06066_WEB.jpg   DSC06068_WEB.jpg   DSC06077_WEB.jpg   DSC06125_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast