Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anatomy of the carve tight spindle

1. Default anatomy of the carve tight spindle

Can someone explain the anatomy of the interior of carve tight spindle?

On my latest carve, my 1/8" cutting bit broke at the conclusion of the carve. That may have no bearing on my question. but when I tried to insert another bit, there seemed to be significant resistance. I continuously loosened the tightening screw and finally removed it. When I feel inside the collet with the tip of my pinkie, there seems to be something flat inside. Is that part of the tightening mechanism? Have I dislodged something? The tightening screw doesn't seem to want to tighten completely, and I certainly don't want to strip the threads. I've tried to look at the opening with a mirror, but I can't get a good view.

I've had difficulty recently with bits sticking in the collect, and have often had to crank down on bits using the split collet adaptors in order for them to stay in place.

Any suggestions?

There is a little barrel type thing with one end curved lie the inside of the spindle and it is threaded thru it's center. I find the if you wiggle the inserted allen T wrench, it will wiggle the barrel and the bit will come out.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

3. Default

OK, but I can't get a bit in, and the screw won't go in completely. Perhaps that pice is out of alignment?

You should be able to push the inside part out of the chuck with a small wire/pick. It might have a small burr on it.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

And to address the broken bit at the end of the carve, I would be looking at your Y Gear box Bearings.

I agree... a "Burr" inside the crimp nut.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

6. Default

Clint,
    The bit is out. That is not the problem. Chris at CW tech support says the piece is backwards and I have to pull it back out of the screw hole! I have no idea how to do that! I can stick my finger into the collet from the bottom and feel the piece, but I can't get any leverage on it. I can't get the tightening screw to catch, so that is not a solution. I've tried wiggling the hex wrench through the screw hole as well as an ice pick and a small screwdriver. All to no avail! any other suggestions? I hope you can understand this image.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	81069

t-town
    We just induced the same problem in one of our machines in an attempt to figure out what is going on. It appears that the part of the collet/spindle with the threads that the set screw engages is free floating (which makes sense) and has shifted. I was able to get ours in a similar position by removing the setscrew and sticking the allen wrench in the hole and gently wiggling it around. To put it back in its normal position I used a screwdriver tip from an eight way screwdriver and pushed it back into place from the inside of the spindle. We made a short video, if anyone would like to see it PM us. After the piece is straight you will want to put a bit with collet up in place and hold it there while starting the setscrew in its threads (this will hold the floating piece in place).
    Butch & Dian

Well, if I had software to convert the 38meg, 17 sec .mov file, I could share it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spindle.JPG  

Here are some pictures to help. This shows how it should look on the inside and how the paw is shaped with a curve to accommodate bits. You have the noncurved part of the paw in where the bit goes instead of lined up with the screw hole.

9. Default

so how do I fix it? I've tried wiggling the t-handled hex wrench in the hole, but the piece doesn't budge.. You said it needed to back out of the hole, but how do I accomplish that? I can't get hold of it with anything.

Since the screw that goes in does not actually thread into this part you can try getting a larger diameter screw to thread into the hole and use that as a grip point for pulling it out, possibly with pliers. You also may try heating the shaft to get it to expand some and loosen on the paw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast