Thread: create a 3D pattern ( based on image ) using only designer 1.87 and vector/3d add-ons

Default create a 3D pattern ( based on image ) using only designer 1.87 and vector/3d add-ons

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	81020

I have tried using GIMP but I just can't get the process right and it's just easier for me to pay for the files I need. Once again though, I am looking at the add-ons for Designer and I'm wondering how efficient it would be for duplicating an image like the one attached and creating a 3D pattern using only the tools in Designer 1.187. The only problem I have is I can't DEMO the vector tools so I can't completely understand if I can make this work ( I think that is a mistake for CW to not allow this but there must be a reason ). The only part of the image which I would duplicate for the 3D design would be the belt and in.. the tartan would be ignored as would the shield/banner.

Any input from users of all the add-ons? Is this an image that could be used for the basis of a 3D pattern using only designer 1.187 and the available add-ons?
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post

The only problem I have is I can't DEMO the vector tools so I can't completely understand if I can make this work ( I think that is a mistake for CW to not allow this but there must be a reason ).
    The reason is because we cannot protect it from being used without purchase, like we can all of the other add-ons.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post

I have tried using GIMP but I just can't get the process right and it's just easier for me to pay for the files I need. Once again though, I am looking at the add-ons for Designer and I'm wondering how efficient it would be for duplicating an image like the one attached and creating a 3D pattern using only the tools in Designer 1.187. The only problem I have is I can't DEMO the vector tools so I can't completely understand if I can make this work ( I think that is a mistake for CW to not allow this but there must be a reason ). The only part of the image which I would duplicate for the 3D design would be the belt and in.. the tartan would be ignored as would the shield/banner.

Any input from users of all the add-ons? Is this an image that could be used for the basis of a 3D pattern using only designer 1.187 and the available add-ons?

The best way I found with carvewright V. 1,187 to make the 3d looking Grayscale image is with a program called ShaderMap Pro. it cost about $ 50.00 now. BJB

I would also start with a line drawing and make the pattern with layers for this type of carving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DUN EISTEIN  1.PNG   DUN EISTEIN  2.PNG   DUN EISTEIN  3 cw.PNG  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 05-24-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Designer itself is pretty capable for basic patterns. Threw this together in about 20 min using designer only and not being very careful.

My opinion: For advanced patterns you will have to learn a 2d package like GIMP, COREL, PHOTOSHOP, PAINT, INKSCAPE. Price range is free to holy cow that's expensive.

On a different level is the 3d software packages but the learning curve is close to being vertical.

All the CW add-ons will open up whole new avenues to approach pattern building though. I've stayed with the STL import only but have been super happy with that.

Good luck with your pattern building journey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails designer test.png  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 05-29-2016 at 12:13 AM.