Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slipping crank

1. Default Slipping crank

So i start turning the crank down to lower the head and it is slipping almost immediately. I have to turn it very slow and often jog it back and forth to nurse it down.
    I called CW tech and he felt that the rails were out of alignment. I followed the procedure he outlined plus what it said in the manual. I did this procdure at least 12 times yesterday. Tightened, loosened, the whole procedure. Lubed with the specified grease. Still wants to slip.
    Could it be a gear somewhere under the handle worn out. Im perplexed and dont know what else to do.
    Any ideas or similar problems out there in CW land.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by edsingletary View Post
    So i start turning the crank down to lower the head and it is slipping almost immediately. I have to turn it very slow and often jog it back and forth to nurse it down.
    I called CW tech and he felt that the rails were out of alignment. I followed the procedure he outlined plus what it said in the manual. I did this procdure at least 12 times yesterday. Tightened, loosened, the whole procedure. Lubed with the specified grease. Still wants to slip.
    Could it be a gear somewhere under the handle worn out. Im perplexed and dont know what else to do.
    Any ideas or similar problems out there in CW land.

the head on the machine not level or it needs grease on the post it could a few thing could cause that slipping
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

I would be important to notice whether the crank turns easily or not. If the crank clicks under the same amount of torque as is usual when clamping down the head, then look for sources of resistance to head movement. Head not level, posts not parallel, damaged threaded rods,... On the other hand, if the crank turns very easily, then look at the crank mechanism itself. Cracked torque plate, broken spring,...

If you have done everything else as suggested, it's probably the crank torque plate. They have a tendency to break if excessive force is applied to the crank handle and sometimes it seems like they just split for no reason. I just replaced one a couple of weeks ago on my machine. They are only $5.00 so the shipping will cost more than the part. Here is a link to the Carvewright page.

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=255

EDIT: The first time that I replaced one it took awhile to figure out how to disassemble the mechanism. Remove the left side panel from the machine. After removing the crank handle you will see that there are flat spots on the shaft. Use an adjustable wrench to unscrew the shaft.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 05-04-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    Steve

To check head level.... Method 1: Place wide board in machine or 2 narrow boards one on each side and use a bit to touch the board and read the Z data.

Method 2... Same narrow boards but place a strip of paper on each board and crank down. TUG the paper... If one slips out that side is high.

Also inspect the under side of the machine where the cross connect gear goes from the hand crank side to the other for sawdust in the grease. Un plug first... Shock hazard...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03699a_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

6. Default

The crank is very easy to turn. Turns easy and no trouble at all raising the head. When i try to go down the crank turns easy but slips very easy. If i jog it it ever so slightly up and down in small increments i can get it down. But it is very tedious and slow. I think something is broke. I guess i will take it apart. Wish me luck.

I would say that if it slips very easily, the problem is in the crank mechanism. I assume you checked that the crank handle screw is not loose. A cracked torque plate seems likely to me.

part 147:

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=389

Agreed,,, Something broke ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Try WD40 on the posts and jack screws. Crank toque plates break even without excess stress. If you have been using lithium grease on the posts, dust collects. Clean the posts and jack screws with WD40 and a rag, then keep them lubed with WD40. Quicker, cleaner and does not attract the saw flower like the grease. Still use the spray lithium grease in the crank clutch assembly.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Or Red set handle is engaged. Yep, I'm stupid and done that myself.
    Love to Make the sawdust, But I sure Hate to clean it up.
    U can't find Success unless you have the patience to hang around long enough to find it!!!!
    Website isn't carving related but a good place to buy a auto:
    www.hcautos.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast