Thread: Rotary Jig modificatons

Default Rotary Jig modificatons

Well, the shipment of the toothed belts to make Bergerud's suggested modifications to the rotary jig finally arrived. I realize they came from China but it must have been on a slow boat. Anyway, I replaced the two layers of grip tape on the geared wheel with the belts from AliExpress and one layer of grip tape and ran the calibration. Apparently, the circumferences are exactly the same because the calibration was dead on the first time.

Up until now I have been very reluctant to carve anything in really expensive wood using the jig. Although the candle holders that were carved in Cherry turned out great, the blanks were cut-offs from previous projects so they really didn't cost anything. Feeling very confident about the jig and the modifications I figured, what the heck, "go big or go home", so I gave it a try on a 3"by 3" by 12" blank of Honduras Rosewood. The blanks were about $38.00 apiece before shipping. The jig performed flawlessly. However, during the carve the bit slipped down in the chuck about 1/8". The resulting ridge was too much to sand so the carve was ruined. The set screw in the chuck was replaced just before the carve and everything appeared to be good. I had even given it an extra twist to be sure the 1/8" long bit was very tight. Oh well, I guess in my case Murphy is an optimist. After disassembling the set screw and locking mechanism and a careful and meticulous cleaning, the carve was restarted on a new blank. It's carving now as this message is being written. When it's finished I will post a pic.

It takes an extra minute or so to get the jig, the rail, the shoe, and the shim aligned in the beginning but well worth the time spent. The modifications have made the jig a real pleasure to work with.
    Steve

Steve, sorry to hear about the first go around. What are you carving? Whatever it is, I can't wait to see what the second and most assured successful carving looks like in Rosewood.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Steve, sorry to hear about the first go around. What are you carving? Whatever it is, I can't wait to see what the second and most assured successful carving looks like in Rosewood.

It's another candle holder set. I think they will make good Christmas and birthday gifts.
    Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm very sorry to hear about that first one attacked by Murphy! Maybe some similarly-colored wood filler could save it (or even some Crayola crayons rubbed into the gouge could conceal it).

I love the mods Dan comes up with to improve everyone's CW experience. I don't have enough trouble to warrant trying most of them though. For example, anytime I've had an issue with rotary calibration, all I've had to do was reposition the jig so it was in place properly. If the left/bottom edge of the jig is placed so it rests perfectly on top of and even with the stationary guide, I'll get a good calibration the first time. If that jig edge is slightly "off" the stationary plate, the calibration will fail.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 05-02-2016 at 02:46 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I also think I continue to use the jig as is. The few rotary carves I have done, calibration has not really been a problem. Only once and then, as Michael said, I just re-seated it. But then I was reluctant to cut my cover to add the Dust Devil - now both machines have the modification.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

A nice feature of Dan's modification is the ability to use the jig if your machine still has the sandpaper traction belts. I almost forgot about that benefit.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══