Thread: Windows 7 to Windows 10

Default Windows 7 to Windows 10

I am interested in upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Looking for input regarding the change. Specifically, from 7 to 10. Firstly, any problems at all with Designer or Sculptor? And secondly, any problems with connecting with the internet, or being thrown off without notice once your online?
    Thanks,
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Gary, my own experience has been good so far. Designer works just as good and just as bad in Windows 10. I can't speak to sculptor since I don't have that module.

I wish they would have kept the same user interface they had in Windows 7. There is a small learning curve for using Windows 10. My wife has been teaching me how to use it better. The inside joke is my wife is technologically challenged and I work with hi-tech bleeding edge stuff on a daily basis.

I have Vista on one pc and W10 on two computers and I like 10, I find it is easier than Vista or 7. No problems with Designer 1.187. The only problem I have had is they do not like Internet Explorer and I need to use Chrome on both. Microsoft Edge has issues with both computers so I do not use it if I don't need to. Sometimes the Windows updates make the taskbar hang but the work around has been to restart the pc and then all is good. The new Toshiba had problems connecting because it wanted to connect to Toshiba every time I wanted to get an internet connection so I deleted that link, now all is good. W10 takes a lot of memory. I decided to buy a new computer that is dedicated to CNC work, nothing else. You can get a good deal if you shop around. I bought an HP and a Toshiba from Wal Mart for about $200 each with a lot of memory and one has a touch screen. It was a good deal and a good investment. If you are getting kicked offline it could be anything from your pc, the router, your ISP ...... My advice - don't upgrade, buy a new pc. You will have a clean slate, no compatibility problems, a warranty, etc. Second - back up your folders so you do not loose your designs. Use your old computer as a external hard drive or have one computer as your main computer and the other in your shop. If you have a business you can write off the new pc, keep the receipt. I have 2 friends that upgraded but ended up buying new because of update problems. You can get a new system and revert back to the old style (7 or 8.1) but I figure you might as well learn the new changes because the old way will disappear eventually. Hope this helps.

I agree... buy another computer to upgrade... Brother upgraded a old computer and many things didn't work and he ended up getting a new computer.

Too many "old computer" bad stories on the engraving forums.

It's like getting new mud flaps for the old car... You still have a old car...

Closest thing to a troubleshooting question since the machines have become SO reliable....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-15-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The only reason I asked this question is because, my wife updated hers to Win10 the other day from W8. She had gotten new software for her embroidery machine, and they recommended upgrading before putting in the new software. She has not had any problems. Once I saw Win 10 working, I started to wonder about the upgrade myself. Anyway, I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it... So unless I hear otherwise from others, I'll stay with 7. Thanks Oscar, Scooby, and Al.
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

I have all CarveWright software and have no compatibility problems.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Clint,
    Thanks for your response. How old is your computer, and how does it compare to mine listed in the signature box? When you first went from Win 7 to Win 10, you did not have any internet connectivity issues right?
    Gary