Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Add on software

I do not think that anyone who is making projects for profit should ask for free pattern design work on the forum. There are plenty of companies that offer graphics for sale.I believe that If you are going to run a business then learn the tools you need or hire them out.

Also - I have spent more time learning programs to use with Designer than I have spent running the machine. And I have not made one dime yet for my projects. I have either given them away as gifts or donated to benefits (a way to advertise). So far this has been a hobby and not a moneymaker. I'm crossing my fingers.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    But is it fair to continually have generous pattern designers on the forum make patterns for you for free and you use them to make a profit?
    Clint
    I have purchased just about every pattern that I use for payed projects If I could not design it myself. I have asked for help on things like police badges which I did off the forum and which were donated projects. If you click on my name and look at my started threads you will see I have not started any threads looking for pattern help. Maybe I worded things wrong, Where this forum has really helped is learning how to do patterns and projects. I guess I should have said that I cannot afford to pay for add on's out of my income and that I can only justify it if I have a way of paying for it. I have amassed a large collection of patterns posted on this forum by others and I do use those when selling things but I do not see how that is taking advantage, I did not request those patterns but I am sure many download them for future reference and use. Sometimes If I like a pattern someone has made, usually Oscar, I may ask him to post it with out the text or like in the puzzle frame I asked about posting the individual puzzle pieces, this was just because I liked the pattern and thought it might come in handy later. This is still a hobby for me and by no means am I doing anything more than paying for my hobby. I am on a fixed income and that is the main reason I cannot afford all the extras and I definitely cannot rush to buy every $200 software carvewright puts out. The only reason I am lucky enough to have this machine is that a friend sold me an extra used one he had and allowed me to pay in payments. I payed those payments by making things and selling them at the flea market. Even the wood was pallets, and wood I collected from the trash dumpsters at construction sites. I am not sure why cestout seems to be picking on me lately I am sorry if I have offended you in any way.
    Last edited by normrichards; 04-26-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: grammer

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rmock View Post
    I do not think that anyone who is making projects for profit should ask for free pattern design work on the forum. There are plenty of companies that offer graphics for sale.I believe that If you are going to run a business then learn the tools you need or hire them out.
    Some people are just trying to pay for their hobby or make a little money to supplement their income, not really a business. All though I do not think I have even asked for many patterns to be made I just think this statement is a little harsh. You have asked for patterns on the forum although I do not know if it was for paid work or not.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25645-looking-for-buckboard-and-horse-pattern

The topic of patterns on the forum has come up several times before. I think it should be up to the one posting the pattern to decide how he or she would like the pattern used. A few people when they posted patterns have requested that they not be shared through other means such as a CD, but I don't recall anyone saying not to use it in a project for sale.

Patterns posted on a public forum can be downloaded by anyone for any purpose. Most of us posting patterns and projects recognize this and are perfectly OK with others potentially using them to make a profit. Well I am anyway. If I want my patterns or projects restricted, I put them in the Pattern Depot, although even in the Depot there is no restriction on using the pattern or project in a project for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    The topic of patterns on the forum has come up several times before. I think it should be up to the one posting the pattern to decide how he or she would like the pattern used. A few people when they posted patterns have requested that they not be shared through other means such as a CD, but I don't recall anyone saying not to use it in a project for sale.

Patterns posted on a public forum can be downloaded by anyone for any purpose. Most of us posting patterns and projects recognize this and are perfectly OK with others potentially using them to make a profit. Well I am anyway. If I want my patterns or projects restricted, I put them in the Pattern Depot, although even in the Depot there is no restriction on using the pattern or project in a project for sale.

Agreed. A lot of people on the forum like the challenge of making patterns. Pratice increases their skill level. Some admit that it might not be the best pattern, but enjoy it and some even show a photo of the pattern and ask for donations.

Any patterns or projects on the PatternDepot can be made and the final product sold.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post

I don't want to start a flame war here but, I'm with you on this one Dick. Posting a pattern or project on a public forum and then trying to restrict it's use is kind of like fighting for peace. It just doesn't make sense. I also believe this train of thought is not conducive to helping others.
    Steve

I agree, patterns shared on the forum - or projects ( I have shared some here) should be free of restrictions. We use Blender, Paint.NET, and other free ware and can make a profit doing it. The old saying "You give a man a fish and you feed him for day, teach him how to fish and he feeds himself". I like to five suggestions or advice - help - to people asking for help with a pattern or project. This stuff is fun and I want to help others have fun to. Doing it for them steals the fun. -my opinion.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12