Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add on software

Default Add on software

Does the add on software stuff ever go on sale, or anywhere you can buy previously owned stuff?

Don't have alot of money after buying machine and it seems like everything I want to do is with add on features.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    Does the add on software stuff ever go on sale, or anywhere you can buy previously owned stuff?

Don't have alot of money after buying machine and it seems like everything I want to do is with add on features.
    The add-on software does go on sale periodically. They usually send out notifications to the those that are on their email list. You can also check their main website. Items that are on sale are usually posted there. Carvewright does not allow the transfer of licenses on software so we are all kind of in the same boat. Either new or nothing.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-22-2016 at 07:44 PM.
    Steve

Any you recommend buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post

The best recommendation I can give is to pick a project first and then buy the tools or add-ons that will make the job as easy as possible. It's best to start off with the less complicated projects and work your way up. Then you can buy what you need as your skill increases. There are those who just have to own the latest and greatest of everything. Even if they don't know what it is or how it's used. There isn't anything wrong with this approach if you are willing to spend a lot of time learning the software and the machine in the beginning and have the tenacity to stay with it. Most are overwhelmed, get frustrated, and then they abandon everything. So, start off by making projects or using patterns that are already designed and work your way into making your own.
    Steve

Steve is right on buying software that you don't need, when I bought the machine had to have all the software that carvewright had to offer just to say I had it, I still don't know how to use the DXF software.... but I have it...LOL

I had a little money in my Woodworking account so I finally got DXF importer (MT told me it was useful). The next day I had trainees here and needed it to make a pattern from an image from her quilting software. But to learn the program I imported a DXF scroll design. I did several things with it (I now have all add-ons): 60deg V bit .032 deep around all sections- interesting, undid that and lowered entire image and a .125 deep carved area them puffed each section at .125 (default puff) -more interesting, Urmoved the carved out area faising it back to the surface then inverted all the puffs - chip carving!, whet back to the original and vector carved around each section with the 1/16 cutting bit .125 deep with a .032 inset - same as scroll sawing a 1/8" plywood grill but easier. As for having all add-ons now, I am not getting rich, but my sustainable hobby is remaining sustainable. BTW, I did purchase DXF Importer on sale.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

7. Default

I only have 1.87 designer and centerline. So far (several years) I have gotten away with just that. My theory is when I have a paying job and I need an add on to complete it then I will buy it with proceeds from the job. The truth is I have had at least a hundred paid jobs and gotten away with out buying anything else, however I do have to thank those on this forum whose help has made that possible. I do want to upgrade designer and get the rotary jig but I am sticking to my theory.

Thanks everyone. I think I will be buying the 3d one because I really like the plaque or frame stuff. Still trying to figure out how to import designs and convert them. One step at a time I guess, just not patient, lol

But is it fair to continually have generous pattern designers on the forum make patterns for you for free and you use them to make a profit?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I agree Clint. One hand should feed the other. When I make a project I can say "I" made it, if I have had help I give that person credit. (Thanks again Bill) When I get disgusted or stuck I ask for help but I know when I have hit a wall it's time to ask for help. I have spent many hours and $$$ trying to figure everything out. The forum is a good place to learn, share, etc. but not to take advantage of others generosity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast