Thread: Owl Light switch cover

Default Owl Light switch cover

Again this isn't using the carvewright so if necessary moderators please pull this post.

The dimmer switch in the wife's office was starting to wear out, had to thump it to get it on and off. I told her I would replace it and she said she didn't want a dimmer just an on off switch.

Back when I converted this "basement" into her office I framed it with 2x2's over the clay tile walls. Some of the 2x2's were apparently slightly twisted, anyway this light switch box was crooked against the wall and stuck out a bit far, so I decided to make her a switch cover to compensate. Took me 3 afternoons to route, carve, sand, and clearcoat this. It's made from 3/4" thick white oak and curly maple. Had some 14mm eyes that I bought for that owl post carving I did a few years ago and they were to small for that carving.

I think if I make another one of these it would go quite a lot faster. I carved the lines first because of the excessive depth of the recess in the back ( I was concerned about carving into the deep recess), next time I would just rough it out then do the lines.

Thanks ~Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW09a.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	80710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW08.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	80711 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW02.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	80712 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW04.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	80713 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW01.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	80714 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW05.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	80715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW09.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	80716
    If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
    My photos my photo hosting site went out of business, some of my photos on facebook are set for everyone to see.

Mike's Patterns

Been a while auto nice job and I quit a few of light switch you did a nice one wow
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Glow in the dark eyes would be cool and functional.

Cool, nice job. You should make that into a project. I like it...a lot and the glow in the dark eyes would be a nice option. Thanks for posting.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Excellent, Mike! I like the idea of glow-in-the-dark eyes, too. Will make a cool project alright!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

6. Default

Are you able to share the file for this? Maybe I can find someone to convert it to work with CW. My daughter's room is Owl themed so I know this will be a perfect addition. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by autobodyman View Post
    Again this isn't using the carvewright so if necessary moderators please pull this post.

The dimmer switch in the wife's office was starting to wear out, had to thump it to get it on and off. I told her I would replace it and she said she didn't want a dimmer just an on off switch.

Back when I converted this "basement" into her office I framed it with 2x2's over the clay tile walls. Some of the 2x2's were apparently slightly twisted, anyway this light switch box was crooked against the wall and stuck out a bit far, so I decided to make her a switch cover to compensate. Took me 3 afternoons to route, carve, sand, and clearcoat this. It's made from 3/4" thick white oak and curly maple. Had some 14mm eyes that I bought for that owl post carving I did a few years ago and they were to small for that carving.

I think if I make another one of these it would go quite a lot faster. I carved the lines first because of the excessive depth of the recess in the back ( I was concerned about carving into the deep recess), next time I would just rough it out then do the lines.

Thanks ~Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW09a.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	80710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW08.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	80711 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW02.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	80712 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW04.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	80713 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW01.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	80714 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW05.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	80715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0LSW09.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	80716