Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bored

Default Bored

I am working on a current project and I have run out of lumber and the lumber store doesn't open until 1200 noon tomorrow (black walnut).

The current 3d modeling project I am building is on a strategic pause until I get my wind back and inspiration on it. Its a steampunk octopus that I will be making a personal carving pattern for my next book project. A pretty cool picture of the model (at least I think its cool):

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/320248223484453193/

I also have the day off tomorrow and can't get to my project until the lumber store opens.

So long story not so short...I'm a little bored.

So for the next 11 hours anyone who wants a pattern made please post on here. Whichever suggestion gets the most inputs I will work on it in the morning starting at 0800 CST.

Limitations:
    I don't like reproducing things specifically that are already in the pattern depot.

I would like to keep it to under 3 hours of modeling...so no super complex models.

Make it cool if possible.

If nothing gets posted it will be my choice.

No input so my choice. So of course I made something really simple especially hard and complex for myself.

On an earlier post someone had mentioned a jigsaw frame so I thought that would be interesting. So enclosed is a jigsaw pieces frame.

I probably did it the hardest way possible by modeling each individual piece as a 3d model. But my thinking is I now have a fully modeled jigsaw for maximum flexibility.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jigsaw frame.png   Jigsaw pieces.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. Default

Really cool and great job as usual, I can see the pieces being used in some projects as well.

Thank you. The idea was to maximize flexibility.

Here is another idea. Using two pieces you can do a carve region to glue in some photos and now you can show that two people fit together. Okay that was good. Brownie point time.

If you are going to cut them out please resize each one so that they do interlock. Sanding will be required.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jigsaw frames.png  

Really like the frame! Maybe a toy for a grandkid.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Clint, I hope they are of use. I'll upload the rest of the pieces tonight. I think I modeled 10 different pieces in total. Though some were mirrored images.

Just got back from the lumber store really disappointed. They were out of black walnut and their shipment doesn't get in until tomorrow so no woodworking for me today.

I guess its gin and tonic time.

It feels like it takes longer to port the models to CW than it takes to make the model (not true at all but just feels like it). Turned out to be only 8 models. The corner puzzle figures can be either rotated or mirrored from one pattern to give you all 4 corners. I actually had modeled two and was starting the third one when I realized that. Went much quicker after that.

And here are the final pieces.

They can be combined to make any size frame by combining multiple jigsaw patterns to build up the length as needed. For variety I would recommend changing the height of them slightly to accentuate the interlocking pattern at a distance. Creates shadow lines.

You can use single pieces for unique frames or other projects.

If making many I would recommend only creating templates and then moving to a band saw or router table if available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jigsaw pieces all.png  

Oscar, the only problem I see, is this is a carve done with the tapered bit. Some time back I made up a complete set of puzzle pieces using dxf importer (imported for me by a friend), not sure if I ever uploaded it though. I may still have them. The patterns were MPC vector to be cut using the 1/8' straight bit.
    You did a great job on them.

Edit: but if one takes these patterns and outlines them then deletes the pattern they will have the vectors to cut using the straight bit.
    Last edited by eelamb; 04-21-2016 at 09:50 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Eddie, great point. I assumed if anyone was going to use these they would carve only to about .25 and then cut out with the 1/8" bit. Main reason for recommending using a band saw or router table if doing multiple large versions with a template made from the patterns.

So I recommend doing the carving to about .25" and then as a second step do the cutout with the 1/8" bit. The patterns are round over but if you have a router you can do the round over with that instead and use the outlines for templates or cut outs only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast