Thread: White wash finish

Default White wash finish

How can I stain a project in multiple colors, give it kind of a white wash look, and not have the stain bleed. This is a link to a project that is doing what I want to do, but I'm wanting to do it as a sign with some different pictures on it.

I could use acrylics, but want to see the grain through the stain.

Thanks for any help you can offer
    Rob

Is this going to be an exterior sign? Spray a light coat of clear acrylic or sanding sealer, sand smooth. Paint as you normally would with an acrylic but darker colors you might want to thin down with water. Depends if you want grain color or texture to show through. I like to spray a clear coat of acrylic, sanding sealer or conditioner first so it does not get splotchy. Try a test piece first. Lightly sand after paint and do touch ups. This sign has a clear acrylic undercoat and final coat on a pressure treated board. I did not want the grain to show through the gold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3104.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1,015.2 KB 
ID:	80626

I have used thinned with water acrylic paints with some success. As for white wash, min-wax has a white pickling stain (water base) that I use. I had to get it at ACE because HD didn't have it. They used to have a Winter White satin that I liked better, but it is no longer available.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

This is for an interior sign and I would like to have the wood grain show through.

Great information guys. Thank you!!
    Rob