Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Wow

1. Default Wood Wow

I know so many veteran wood workers will laugh at this but hey, I'm relatively new to this art of wood working.
    I finally found a warehouse here that has wood. I mean wood like a lumber candy store.
    There is lumber from all over this planet. Many have names I can not pronounce. I never realized so many different species were available. Wow. I promised my self I would not go crazy and but everything I ran my hand across. The prices prevented that anyway. I settled on Granadillo. I think that's the name. Anyway it is beautiful. 67 dollars for 3 pieces 1/2x4x3feet.
    They speak a funny language at this place too. Everyone talks about board feet.
    I'm getting an education in my old age.
    just thought I'd let everyone know just how ignorant I am. Ha ha. Its fun discovering new things.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

No laughing will be going on though a few smiles. Welcome to the club. The smiles are because you are doing what we all do. It is like going to the candy store when you have a lumber specialty shop available to you. We have a similar store in south Shreveport and the only reason I am not there every week is because my wallet isn't deep enough. My favorite exotic hardwoods are purple heart and padauk. I've never worked with granadillo but it looks totally beautiful. Let us know how it works.

One thing about laughing, it means you are enjoying what you are doing!

4. Default

I will have to look up that padauk. They have the purple heart too. I'll try it next time. Thanks for the smiles.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

We have a store like that here in Tucson. Woodworkers Source. Not to be confused with Woodworkers Supply. It's about 4 miles from my house and they have just about every species of wood that I have ever heard of and some that I haven't. Like your store the price on some of it is definitely cost prohibitive. Some of the more rare species is over $100.00 a board foot. The next time that I'm there I'll take a picture.

Awhile back I bought a book from Barnes and Noble with almost all of the known species of wood (I think). The title is "WOOD Identification & Use" by Terry Porter (ISBN# 1-86108-377-7). It's a hardback so it should last for a long time. With good pictures, explanations, densities, and origins of each type of wood it is one of the best books around.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-16-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    Steve

6. Default

I have a fee app on my phone that figures out board feet. I have a android phone but I am sure apple and microsoft have simular apps. It makes it so much easier when I am at a lumberyard.

Check these out:
    http://www.wood-database.com/
    https://woodidentification.net/wood-images-2/
    and for the northern midwest: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/for...s/tree_id.html

I know it isn't the same as touching but there's a wealth of knowledge.

8. Default

On my Island its all about making connections, in Hawaii everyone wants Koa and its very expensive so knowing someone with land makes a difference. In some cases people jusst have the rounds laying around... The treasure hunt is definitely on! I have at least found some really nice monkey pod in my back 40.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    No laughing will be going on though a few smiles. Welcome to the club. The smiles are because you are doing what we all do. It is like going to the candy store when you have a lumber specialty shop available to you. We have a similar store in south Shreveport and the only reason I am not there every week is because my wallet isn't deep enough. My favorite exotic hardwoods are purple heart and padauk. I've never worked with granadillo but it looks totally beautiful. Let us know how it works.
    Carl.. what part of LA are you living in?
    -Paul
    "The secret to getting ahead is getting started." -Mark Twain

Paul, its Oscar.

I'm in Bossier City. Its kind of a suburb of Shreveport. North West part of the state and about 15 miles from the Texas border. I'm retired Air Force so I have access to the base here. They have a decent wood shop and they stock cherry, black walnut, oak, maple, and occassionally red cedar. You can special order the more common exotic hardwoods but the more exotics are not carried. I am sure they would not be able to order Granadillo. There are three CW users in the area that I know of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast