Thread: dust collection

Default dust collection

i ordered the 3rd party dust collection cap, to put on my CW. I have a shop vac that i use in my shop, will it be powerful enough for it to work on my CW ?? If not how much cfm do i need to suck up the dust ??

I just moderated your post so it can be seen by all...

All though a shop vac can be used for hooking up to the dust collection attachments you will get better air flow with a standard dust collector. The shop vac issues are #1 STATIC build up as he air moves at such a high rate. Static discharge to the CW will kill the carving and possibly any electric components in the machine.

If you will be getting a duct collector look for one that is 650 cfm at the minimum.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I believe the motor on the shop vac is not meant to be running as long as the motor on a true dust collection system.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I hooked up my old shop vac and burned up the motor in about a month of use. I thought it was because it was old so I bought a new one and after a week it smoked too ( fortunately the replaced it under warranty). I did what I should have done to begin with and bought a dust collector. The down side to this was it would get clogged with the bigger chips. I got a vortex cone and this solved it. Cost a bit more but it the long run it will be worth it

Harbor Freight constantly runs their dust collectors on sale. I have 2 different models and both work well.

I burned up two shop vacs. The harbor freight dust collector is worth the few extra dollars. I added a vortex cone mounted to a plastic drum and that made a big difference.

Most dust collectors are designed to run continuously and most vacuums are designed for short duration use. Usually, the lesser expensive vacuums will have problems with the motor overheating if left running for a long length of time. There are exceptions. Before I bought a dust collector I used a Fein vacuum that advertised that they could run continuously and I had no problems. It even has an external plug for tools so when the tool is turned on or off it controls the vacuum.

As Floyd said, a dust collector that is at least 650 cfm is a much better choice. I use a Harbor Freight (1550 cfm) dust collector (with modifications). They normally run about $220.00 but I purchased it when it was on sale and used a 30% off coupon so it was only about $120.00. I also use an electrical relay system that controls the DC when the tool is turned on and off.

The down side is that it draws 20 amps so it really needs to be on a separate 20 amp circuit. There have been many that run it on a 15 amp circuit and claim they have no problems. If the circuit breaker is a good quality one you may get away with it for awhile but over time the breaker will weaken and could trip.

Link to the relay system I use: http://www.bctint.com/ecommerce.action

Link to Harbor Freight DC: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-in...tor-97869.html
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-11-2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added links
    Steve

This is great information. As always a great team with the CW forum.

I have a 5 horse cyclone dust collector. Oneida does have a small cyclone to hookup to a small vacuum. This would work well.