Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spindle stops turning

Default spindle stops turning

yesterday my relatively new machine was spinning up for choose bit, went through the tool length process, started spinning and moving towards the board as normal, and then stopped spinning, the machine pulled the non-spinning tool along the path until it got a y axis error. Now I watch it closely and am having to shut it off and restart it at times to get it to run properly. Pulled the cable and see no issues there, anyone else have this issue and if yes please advise on how I should proceed
    Thanks
    Shelley and Brian

Was the cut motor running and the bit not spinning or was the cut motor not running? How many cut motor hours since you last changed cut motor brushes?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Was the cut motor running and the bit not spinning or was the cut motor not running? How many cut motor hours since you last changed cut motor brushes?
    Cut motor was running have since pulled drive cable and reinserted and last two projects ran fine am hopeful that solved issue

I had an issue like this a week or so ago. I played with the cover switch n the right hand side. No issues sine then.

Quote Originally Posted by sshelle View Post
    Cut motor was running have since pulled drive cable and reinserted and last two projects ran fine am hopeful that solved issue
    It sounds like the cable was not inserted into the cutting motor...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

If the motor is running the whole time and yet the spindle stops, you might check the sheath near the cut motor. Some have had the sheath come apart there. The sheath is then effectively longer and then the core is not long enough to keep the motor and spindle connected.

I had the sheath separate at the base when I first received it and was doing exactly as you described along with breaking cutting bits. I taped it up and that worked for a couple of months and then I had to replace it.

If the cut motor quit running then like posted above the brushes need to be replaced. If the right side cover safety switch is giving you problems you could put a tape "Seat Belt" on the clear cover when it is 1/4 way up that when down pulls the cover toward the switch. I have one on my left switch.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03168_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpessink View Post
    I had the sheath separate at the base when I first received it and was doing exactly as you described along with breaking cutting bits. I taped it up and that worked for a couple of months and then I had to replace it.
    I have checked the sheath and it looks fine, do these split along the length or around the circumference? My cable pulls out of the cutting head randomly, usually after pulling up in Z and then going back down to the board. I have reinserted it multiple times but doesn't stay in the cutting head for much more than an hour. Should I buy a new cable? Has anyone ever shortened the sheath to make the cable protrude further? We got this at Christmas and has 71 hours on the motor, I haven't called support yet but will if no one has a ready solution I can implement
    Thanks
    Brian and Shelley

You say the spindle stops spinning - does the cut motor stop or does the motor keep running and the spindle not spin? In other words, is the problem the cut motor or the flex shaft?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast