Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattern for patterndepot

Robert, thanks. I just uploaded it for consideration. It usually takes a few days before its listed if they don't see any issues with the pattern.

For anyone looking to buy any of my patterns please try (download before buying) and see if it will work for you. Sometimes a picture doesn't show everything about the pattern. Try different sizes and carving depths to see if it will work for you.

On this pattern explicitly, a deeper carve is probably warranted but I do not know what that sweet spot is. My test carve was at .25 on draft and although it showed me no major issues with the pattern it probably didn't capture the right depth to bring out the best look for the final carve.

- O

I am still tweaking this pattern a little but you should see it in the depot in the next few weeks.

P.S. had to render the model after tweaking. Fixed the rope looping in the wrong direction on the bottom and then raised the wings higher, didn't like it so lowered them back again. I'll test carve next weekend to see it looks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW winged cadeceus on anchor.png   winged cadeceus on anchor2 small.jpg  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 07-03-2017 at 08:12 PM.

I am fairly confident the pattern is good so going for it in mahogany tomorrow. You get a feel on how a pattern will carve after a while. I am carving this for my daughter and her husband. They are both corpsmen in the Navy. She was rebelling against her dad and didn't join the Air Force. I commanded, "You will not join the Air Force until after you finish college!" so she joined the Navy instead. She didn't technically disobey me but still not happy.

I am still very proud of her even though she joined the one service that I have no clue what their dang ratings are. My first deployment was with two Navy guys, a ship driver (don't call them boats or its a fight) and a pilot. Awesome guys but still can't remember their ratings. I know their ranks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW semper fortis.png  

I am building a collection of clamps for the pattern depot. There will be 4 in the series. I have 3 done. Any suggestions for the 4th one. I was thinking maybe a cast iron pipe clamp but leaving it open for suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW clamps.png  

How about a parallel clamp? Goes well with wood working too.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry, thanks. Whipped one up fairly quick to finish out the collection. I'll try to test carve this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW parrallel clamp.png  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 07-20-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Looks great Oscar, would make awesome door fronts for a clamp cabinet.

Mugs, thanks. I didn't have a chance to test carve them last weekend so hopefully this weekend I have time. Projects are starting to pile up and I don't seem to be getting ahead. I may power woodwork this weekend and hopefully finish one or two.

- O

Its been a while. Created three new patterns for the store. An arrow head, leather hole punch tool, and battery powered drill.

Edit: 6 Jan 2018. I just submitted to the depot store so should be live in a week or two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW test patterns.png   IMG_4902.jpg  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 01-06-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Working on a few more patterns. Still working the grape vine pattern. A few minor tweaks and should be good. Plan to test carve this weekend if the weather holds. Right now thunderstorms are forecast for Saturday. Plan on making a few more blade and saw type patterns as well.

P.S. The jalapeno was actually a really simple pattern to make so sharing instead in the pattern sharing section. It carved really well in oak.

I also whipped up a vintage hand saw. I still have a little bit more sculpting to do on it but pretty happy with it. Not sure if I want to make it fancy with carvings on the handle. I'll keep playing with and see what evolves. Nothing planned but to see what causality chaos creates.

P.P.S. Did a test carve this morning. They look good so will be posting to the pattern depot tomorrow. The carve is in poplar so not a lot of sharp edges but didn't get any tear out with small draft applied with the exception of one tooth on the table saw blade. The carving was 3.7 inches so shouldn't be a concern if carved a little bit larger. My default is usually 6 inches. There will be two versions. One with an arbor hole and one with out if text or graphics need to be inserted on the face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4947 small.JPG   CW test patterns.png   CW grape vine pattern.png   CW vintage saw.png  

Last edited by oscarl48; 02-24-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast