Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattern for patterndepot

If it carves good and you put it in the depot please post a direct link to it because I'm going to get it for a buddy who has one. The exact angle I was looking for. Thanks Oscar.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry, I'll post the direct link on here as soon as it gets approved and uploaded to the pattern depot. I think it carved well but please download it first as a TRY to see if it works for you.

Norm, really cool car. This was a fun pattern project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4573.jpg  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 03-11-2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: incomplete thought

Did another model but this time of a 1963's sports coupe. I know they look similar but they are completely different models. I did reuse the tires which saved me a few minutes but did swap out the rims for something more sporty. I haven't test carved yet but I think the pattern is not as good as the first. The render is a lot better on the positive side. There are some definite limitations with the tools I use for making certain types of pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 63 impala sports coupev2 small.jpg   CW 1963 sports coupe.png  

Finally got some poplar and carved the sports coupe. It did not carve well. I built the 3d model proportionally correct so when I imported as an stl it ported as a very flat pattern (going from several inches to 3/4in lost all the detail). I re-rendered as a depth grey scale image but just didn't port well. Some models work really well but this one did not.

Finished another pattern this morning. Its based on the dragon entrance guard statues. I'll try carving next weekend and if okay will throw into the depot. Really pleased with with the look of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW dragon guardv2.png  

Finally got a little time with my tools. Really pleased with the dragon. I also test carved some knives and fairly pleased though I have to tweak the guard. It was too thin and got some tear out. The dragon was carved at 6 1/2" tall and the knives at 7 1/2". They were carved at .25, 100, normal. I am using soft poplar so the detail is lost a little but with a decent hardwood the detail will pop out though the knives will have to be carved at a larger size for the font to stand out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4626.jpg   CW kbar knives.png   IMG_4628.jpg  

Yes, small fonts are challenging, whether raster or centerline. Not a whole lot you can do about that except avoid small lettering altogether and/or use bold sans serif fonts that aren't too deep. The 1/32" Carving Bit can help too, for raster letter carves. Plus...

You can often reduce chipout on thin parts (not just letters) by adding a Small Draft and using OPTIMAL for the carve quality setting (I know, I know, it takes forever to carve, but you can use it when necessary to avoid having to run the project all over again). The Small Draft setting matches the 1/16" or 1/32" Carving Bit angle of 7 degrees, so it allows the bit to "ride" over thin parts and edges a little more gently.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-22-2017 at 05:22 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael,

Thanks. Still unsure if I am throwing the knife into the pattern depot. The font at that size is iffy. The knife itself came out looking really sharp (pun) and I'm happy with the design. May be going into my personal library.

Family came over so my shop fun time was a bit short today. Tomorrow I will hopefully finish my mom's clock and I can work on a few other wood projects.

Too many projects and not enough time to design cool patterns for the pattern depot.

- O

I can relate to the "not enough time"! I would put the knife in the Depot, without the lettering. People can add lettering themselves, if they want to attempt it.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thought these two patterns would be a quick build so I could share but turned out I needed many hours instead of modeling and tweaking to finish them so putting them in the pattern depot. They look good visually but will try to test carve them this weekend sometime to validate.

P.S. (5/7/17) Did a test carve and no issues. As always, download trial pattern (try) before purchasing to make sure it will work for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW mountain bike.png   CW drum with wings.png   IMG_4653.jpg   IMG_4654.jpg  

Last edited by oscarl48; 05-07-2017 at 11:58 AM.

I'll test carve this one this weekend but visually looks good. Tested different size to see how the pattern holds up. 4", 6", 8".

For the blender users this was an exercise in curving a plane into a cylinder. It works really well and fairly fast.

P.S. 20 May 17 Test carved the patterns and they did well. The winged star needed a little tweak. I needed to move the circle higher to give the star a little bit more support to reduce tear out otherwise carved well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW short barrel revolver size test.png   short barrel revolver.png   IMG_4707 winged star.jpg   IMG_4712 short barrel revolver.jpg  

Last edited by oscarl48; 05-20-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast