Thread: Carve "portrait"

Default Carve "portrait"

I wanted to carve a picture of someone and it looks awful. The program carves it as an object, but I'd like to outline it sort of like a wood block print. I've seen examples in the forums and can't figure out it's done.

Attach a copy of what you are trying to work with so we can take a look to better help you out.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M-4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	80397Here is one photo I tried.

Here is how I do my portraits. Of course, I make them a certain way depending on what kind of wood I am using to carve the piece, such as plywood. Once I carve the piece, I then use a lighter stain all over and then a darker stain for just the recessed areas and around the main portrait. After the stain dries, I then go back with sandpaper and sand the portrait with a flat block, so the high points become lighter, and the dark stain stays in the recessed areas to bring the picture to life. I hope this helps. When you do a picture, make sure that the forehead is a high point in designer software. You want the eyes recessed and the forehead as a highpoint. If they are not, then invert the picture. Another tip is always carve with the wood grain going from side to side rather than up and down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture1.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Heather

Thank you. I'll give it a whirl. This looks better than when I imported it. Wonder if it's the different software than the basic?

I just used designer 3. I did also use the pattern editor to get rid of the background, but that is it.
    Heather