Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rout Tool VERY slow in 1.187, better in newer versions?

Default Rout Tool VERY slow in 1.187, better in newer versions?

I'm working on a dollhouse and using the carvewright to do a brick pattern on the walls (both sides). The sections are large, about a foot high and three feet long, which adds up to a litte over 2600 "bricks".

The horizontal lines it does real quick No problem there.
    The short vertical lines are the issue. I started with separate lines, which carved quick on a small test piece but the software crashes on the full wall because there are too many items on it (I've had this happen on other projects as well). Anyway, my solution was to use the route tool, carving at .01" depth for .22" length, then 0" depth for .22 length, and repeat.

This is carving very well, but very slow. Designer predicts about 2 hours to carve, but the actual carve time is 4 hours and 45 minutes! Per side! And the reason is the routs. The bit goes down, carves for .22", which takes .25 second if that. Then the bit comes up and sits doing nothing for 4 seconds! 4 seconds X apx. 2600 vertical lines = 2.9 hours of wasted time per side, give or take. I have 5 of the 3 foot panels to do and six slightly smaller. What I expected would take 20 hours of carve time is going to end up taking close to 50 hours.

Assuming there is no better way to do this, I'm curious if the rout tool is any faster in the newer versions of designer? Doubt it but thought I'd ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brick_Sample.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

When I have done things like this before, I would plan it out so the bit stays down. Even if you have to go over some parts twice, make it one continuous path.

As to whether there is any speed difference in 1.187 or 3 I do not know.

Something like this is what I was thinking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bricks.PNG  

Yeah, I considered that, but due to the pattern it seemed counter-productive to either go back and fill those missing spots, which would have given me the same issues I have now, or double back on every track, which now that I look at it probably would have been a lot faster than what I am doing.

Anyway, at this point I really don't dare change the process at this point as I have 2 sections done and the first side of the third running now.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I'm working on a dollhouse and using the carvewright to do a brick pattern on the walls (both sides). The sections are large, about a foot high and three feet long, which adds up to a litte over 2600 "bricks".

The horizontal lines it does real quick No problem there.
    The short vertical lines are the issue. I started with separate lines, which carved quick on a small test piece but the software crashes on the full wall because there are too many items on it (I've had this happen on other projects as well). Anyway, my solution was to use the route tool, carving at .01" depth for .22" length, then 0" depth for .22 length, and repeat.

This is carving very well, but very slow. Designer predicts about 2 hours to carve, but the actual carve time is 4 hours and 45 minutes! Per side! And the reason is the routs. The bit goes down, carves for .22", which takes .25 second if that. Then the bit comes up and sits doing nothing for 4 seconds! 4 seconds X apx. 2600 vertical lines = 2.9 hours of wasted time per side, give or take. I have 5 of the 3 foot panels to do and six slightly smaller. What I expected would take 20 hours of carve time is going to end up taking close to 50 hours.

Assuming there is no better way to do this, I'm curious if the rout tool is any faster in the newer versions of designer? Doubt it but thought I'd ask.
    In this example there are no overlapping lines which should result in less cutting time. I didn't do it in the Designer but it probably can be done using the "copy offset" tool. It might take a little longer though.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 02-04-2016 at 02:11 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    It's all about how it is drawn and to eliminate as many overlapping lines as possible.
    To me, it is all about using a single vector. Here are some reasons:

1. Jumping - the machine may jump all over the place in some crazy order if there are many separate vectors.

2. Time - the bit will have to rise up and down to start and stop each vector.

3. Tracking - with a single curve one can control the cutting to move back and forth in the y as the cutting moves slowly in the x.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    To me, it is all about using a single vector. Here are some reasons:

1. Jumping - the machine may jump all over the place in some crazy order if there are many separate vectors.

2. Time - the bit will have to rise up and down to start and stop each vector.

3. Tracking - with a single curve one can control the cutting to move back and forth in the y as the cutting moves slowly in the x.
    Dan,

I agree. Especially without the ability to specify the order of the cutting sequences. However, you will still have to backtrack over a lot of lines that could also result in tracking issues.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 02-04-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    Steve

As long as you do not go far before backtracking, I think it is ok. It is true, one should minimizie the backtracking (and direction changes) as much as possible. These types if cuts are a real challenge. Cool problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    In this example there are no overlapping lines which should result in less cutting time. I didn't do it in the Designer but it probably can be done using the "copy offset" tool. It might take a little longer though.
    Unfortunately I have 1.186 so I can't see the file or how you managed to avoid overlapping. I tried for an hour when designing but assumed it could not be done without bypassing at least a little bit. Therefore, I don't have copy offset either.

While I like the single vector idea, again this is a larger project. 53 horizontal lines, the routs I did double rows, down and up, and there is 48 of those. In theory they could all be hitched together, but with designer it's hard to keep that all locked into place if it were one line.

Another feasible possibility which I didn't attempt would be to vector the horizontal lines as I am doing, but convert the vertical routs into a pattern. It would likely carve that fairly fast since the cuts are shallow and consistent. And I am using the 1/16 carving bit anyway.

I'm just glad this is for the wife and I don't have to charge someone for machine time. But it's nice to hear and consider other options for the future just in case.

I do not understand your original mpc. What are those vertical connected lines things which give the dash cuts? They show no bit but when I click on them, a bit appears. I am confused. How did you get the dashes? Is the upload corrupt? Seems strange to me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails connected dashes.png  
    Last edited by bergerud; 02-04-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast