Thread: Head stuck, wont crank up or down.

Default Head stuck, wont crank up or down.

So my head is stuck and wont raise or lower on my carvewrightx. Head is about midway in height so no its not raised to high. Start working my way through some trouble shooting steps and begin the corner post alignment process. After removing the bottom cover I notice the tie rod between the two vert screws has no side to side play. The alignment instructions have a step in which they clearly state this tie rod should have side to side play. If it does not I should immediately contact support...

So whats the deal with the tie rod and end play? What causes this tierod to bind up and what should I be checking?

Thanks,

G

If you can at the height the head is at... Install a bit and with the LCD Z Data touch a board laying on the belt to determine if the head is tilted... Touching even a 4 x 4 to make up the height... Both the keypad side and the far side... The head might be twisted as in one side higher.... Remember the hole in the far side jacking screw that lets you turn the head up or down.

Not sure about the side play?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Does the tie rod move in any direction? Being jammed up could be putting the tie rod under load, which would remove all end play. the rod must rotate a bit to determine end play.

The head could be tilted and jammed. One possibility is a stripped nut on the right side. (We have seen that a few times.) Take off the right side cover and have a look at the nut.

Took off side side covers, and bottom cover. Cleaned all the screws and gears really well, then regreased with fresh lithium goo. Manually raised and lowered head with jack hole to work in grease. Freed right up and seems good as new.

Thanks for the replies!

-G

I don't know if LHR will like this but I stopped using the white lithium except inside the crank clutch because it is glue for the sawdust. I use WD40 now on the Y & Z rollers, the four coner shafts and the jack screws and bevel gears. And I use Lubrapalte 930AA on the flex shaft core. Also, when I doo the pms (preventative maintenance) I lay 2 paper shopping bags over the traction belts.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com