Thread: West System 2 part expoxy with turquoise mix a name into

Default West System 2 part expoxy with turquoise mix a name into

I tried something new that I wanted to share with the forum. I carved a name into a sign board using Raster and made it 1/8 in deep. I mixed up my two part epoxy (West System) and stirred in about a teaspoon of turquoise power that I ordered off the internet. I used a putty knife to spread it across the letters with plenty of surplus. After curing overnight, I ran it thru my planer and voila it looks like inlaid turquoise glass perfectly flush with the surface of the sign. I am going to try using Centerline (if I can fix the "gui.exe" issue) and see if that will work. My concern is with a narrower incise that the planer might pull out the expoxy because with Centerline you can't control the depth of the cut.

I will post a picture when I get a chance.

Drill some small holes into the text prior to the epoxy. It may not look as good with using a clear epoxy. Of course it may also depend on where the holes are.

Anxious to see the pics.

Can you stain the board? Does the stain wipe off the epoxy?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by carrothers View Post
    I tried something new that I wanted to share with the forum. I carved a name into a sign board using Raster and made it 1/8 in deep. I mixed up my two part epoxy (West System) and stirred in about a teaspoon of turquoise power that I ordered off the internet. I used a putty knife to spread it across the letters with plenty of surplus. After curing overnight, I ran it thru my planer and voila it looks like inlaid turquoise glass perfectly flush with the surface of the sign. I am going to try using Centerline (if I can fix the "gui.exe" issue) and see if that will work. My concern is with a narrower incise that the planer might pull out the expoxy because with Centerline you can't control the depth of the cut.

I created several projects and examples of epoxy inlay techniques for a presentation at the 2015 CW Conference. Using Centerline and/or Vector Groups Carving (i.e., v-bit carving) worked great for the method I developed for the samples. I did not use a planer, but sanded excess epoxy by hand (using a block) as well as an orbital sander starting with coarse then progressing to fine grits.

My faux turquoise method used light blue embossing powder purchased from a local hobby store, as well as some blue sand and regular clay kitty litter for a more stone-like appearance. I think if you set your planer to skim gradual and multiple passes over the surface, the epoxy inlay should remain intact. Bear in mind you will likely want to design your Centerline or Vector Group layout a tiny bit larger than what you want to end up with. This way, when you skim off with your planer, the design will end up like you wanted.

BTW, I tested all kinds of epoxies and resins. I finally settled on the Great Planes brand epoxy as the best choice. Sets up clearer than other epoxies, doesn't seem to be adversely affected when various materials are mixed in, and sets up and "sticks" really well in recesses. I did a Butterfly inlay sample with extremely fine carving lines. The Great Planes epoxy assured success with that one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot-design3.png   carved-native-american-3.png   Design_3 Color Schemes..png   light-panel.png  

walnut-panel.png   Butterfly_Inlay_1.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-20-2016 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added more info
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    Can you stain the board? Does the stain wipe off the epoxy?
    Clint
    Hi Clint,

Stain would not remove the epoxy (or maybe you meant whether the epoxy will become stained? Could be it would discolor it somewhat, but the stain should wipe off.)

I don't know if staining the wood will work very well. The excess epoxy may seal the wood too much near the inlay areas, to the point where stain wouldn't penetrate nicely. That was my theory anyway, so I never tried it - I left the wood natural for all my inlay experiments. I imagine if enough material was removed down to reach the "raw" unsealed wood, staining would probably work. I hope someone will try that and let us know how it works out!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 07-20-2016 at 01:15 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Is there an online touital on the inlay process you did last year, I was not able to stay for your presatation.
    I would like to try some for the fall shows.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Quote Originally Posted by myshop1044 View Post
    Is there an online touital on the inlay process you did last year, I was not able to stay for your presatation.
    I would like to try some for the fall shows.

I made a POM called the "Southwest Inlay Trinket Box" that will guide you through the steps. Here is the link:

http://store.carvewright.com/product...53&cat=&page=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southwest_Inlay_Trinket_Box_430x430.png  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by carrothers View Post

Here is the picture...I did rub on a stain after getting it out of the planer and it did soak in pretty well. It's hard to see in the picture but the expoxy is crisp and flat with the surface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0861.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	81407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0861.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	81407

That looks really good! Thank you for letting us know the stain will work too. Good to know.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!