Thread: Preserving acrylic paints

Default Preserving acrylic paints

Wondering if anyone has a magic formula for preserving the little bottles of acrylic paint. I know they don't cost that much but once you build up a collection of colors they add up. As everyone probably knows, it only take a few months before the skin over and get all clumpy, basically worthless. Even the ones I use most often will do this. Appreciate any advice.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Try replacing the air in the container by using compressed air from one of those cans of duster, for blowing out keyboards. It's not just air and seems to help, I don't know if it CO2 or what. What I do is stick the tube in the can with the lid cracked a little and let it blow in for a few seconds, pending on the size of the can that has the (bad) air. Hope this makes sense.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

What Jerry Said- or another way is to remove the air by squeezing the tube a bit to get all the air out before you put the cap back on... either way works to keep oxygen from starting the process of hardening the paint.

Hope this helps,
    Lawrence

You could also store the bottles upside down....
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The stuff in the duster can is nitrogen. It contains no moisture, which makes it a great computer cleaning.