Thread: Lithophane Project

Default Lithophane Project

This is two of the things I have done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160211_104352_resized.jpg   20160211_104547_resized.jpg  

Nice job!

A hint on the lighting, try to get the light over the full surface instead of focusing on one spot. It will show a lot better..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Am I seeing this right? It looks like the carving is a "real" carving. Lithophanes are not real "3D" carvings but are more like negatives.

If one tries to carve a pattern in wood made from a picture, the result is usually very poor. Dark spots in the picture get carved deep. Eyes turn out to be deep holes and so on. The same picture carved as a lithophane, however, produces remarkable results. The deep holes let more light through and are brighter. The original picture is replicated by the light transmitting through it even though, as a 3D carving, it looks hideous.

I hope I am making sense here. If you were to just carve a picture of the Last Supper, it would be quite different. I think you would be shocked at the difference.

See the attached screen shots from Designer. Notice how the carving is hideous while the litho is great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LS Litho.PNG   LS carving.PNG  

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Am I seeing this right? It looks like the carving is a "real" carving. Lithophanes are not real "3D" carvings but are more like negatives.

If one tries to carve a pattern in wood made from a picture, the result is usually very poor. Dark spots in the picture get carved deep. Eyes turn out to be deep holes and so on. The same picture carved as a lithophane, however, produces remarkable results. The deep holes let more light through and are brighter. The original picture is replicated by the light transmitting through it even though, as a 3D carving, it looks hideous.

I hope I am making sense here. If you were to just carve a picture of the Last Supper, it would be quite different. I think you would be shocked at the difference.

See the attached screen shots from Designer. Notice how the carving is hideous while the litho is great.
    But you can carve 2D/3D patterns as lithophanes with good results. It is a matter of your depth/height setting and the lighting in the boxes..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I beg to differ on this Floyd. Depth maps do not make good lithos. One could invert a depth map for better results but still, the contrast would never be as good as one gets from a simple picture.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I beg to differ on this Floyd. Depth maps do not make good lithos. One could invert a depth map for better results but still, the contrast would never be as good as one gets from a simple picture.
    Ok I concede that the results would not be as good...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

A good high resolution photo or picture works best. Read the tips article on the Carvewright page (tips and tricks) and be sure to follow, depth and height are super important for good results. As for lighting I use this system the most but there are many different ways. Here is a link for you to check out. http://s881.photobucket.com/user/Car...r%20Lithopanes
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.