Thread: Basic Question on bit setup

Default Basic Question on bit setup

I should know the answer to this, but now I'm not sure.

When I setup a carve and the machine measures the board and then has me insert the bits, I have always just estimated about where the bit will be when I put in for the carve.

I have the old anti-vibration setup (can't remember the name of it) and I slide the bits into the sleeve and don't have stops, so I'm just estimating.

The question is, when I do the actual carve and the machine says that the depth of the bit doesn't match (from the original setup) I always just hit "continue."
    Does the machine adjust to the depth of the bit I just installed or is it going to carve the depth based on the original setup?

Thanks!

Edit: That anti vibration vibration setup I was referring to is the Rock Chuck.

It will use the new bit measurement that it just saw...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Ok, thanks for the response. I can't figure out then why some carves that are identical setups carve deeper.

I use a rock chuck. I use a piece of masking tape (pin stripe width) once I have it set. I also have a plastic tube that the bit came in and have it cut to length and use that to keep the measurement the same. Both ways have always worked out for me.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.