Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pierced pattern not piercing

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Try this. I use outline and then path offset to create a slightly bigger flat carve region.

Thank you, I will try it in the morning... This tip will help me with other patterns iv been having issues with too... I don't understand why it needs a work around tho.

If you turn off the floor feather, you will see that the pattern does not come through. Bit optimization best stops the bit from cutting into your pattern and getting to the bottom of the board. I think the floor feather fools one into thinking the pattern goes through.

I would arrange the owls "flip flop" and carve out all the wood between them. Once the bit is down, keep it down to minimize the "plunging".

I will work on it.

I think I would set it up more like this. It would not be so hard on the machine. Note some feather, a little wider board, and more tabs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I think I would set it up more like this. It would not be so hard on the machine. Note some feather, a little wider board, and more tabs.

Nice, thanks! I was just adding a square cut region, this is much better. How did you do the outline to go around them all? Do you know how I can add holes for the eyes. I want to push beads into the holes for eyes...

I made a rectangle carve region which was a little smaller than the owls. Then I made an outline of the owls and the rectangle all at once. Then I offset the outline by 0.1, pierced, and added some feather.

To add eyes is a bit of work. Make circle carve regions for the eyes. Group the owl and the two eyes. Make the owl clip carving exclusive. The eyes should appear if they are deep enough.

First of all your board thickness is 2.08". Maximum depth of cut for the long bits is 2". In the example attached, the bit was changed to the 1/16" long to increase the detail a little. After outlining the pattern (Tools, Outline Patterns) the Path Offset was used (Tools, Path Offset) to create a 3/8" space between the pattern and the cutout and then made into a pierced carve region with a 1/4" feather. Then the feather was flipped to reduce the space and to reduce the carve time. The tabs were changed to short lines and set to the bottom of the board (2"). Then everything was selected and Copy Offset (Tools, Copy Offset) was used to repeat the pattern across the board with a 4" spacing (pattern width plus a little space in between).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Owls.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 02-25-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Wording
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    First of all your board thickness is 2.08". Maximum depth of cut for the long bits is 2". In the example attached, the bit was changed to the 1/16" long to increase the detail a little. After outlining the pattern the Path Offset (Tools, Outline Pattern) was used to create a 3/8" space between the pattern and the cutout and then made into a pierced carve region with a 1/4" feather. Then the feather was flipped to reduce the space and to reduce the carve time. The tabs were changed to short lines and set to the bottom of the board (2"). Then everything was selected and Copy Offset (Tools, Copy Offset) was used to repeat the pattern across the board with a 4" spacing (pattern width plus a little for in between).

thanks for info.
    Max carving depth for the long bit is 2.125 inch according to the website.... I had it on the 1/8 bit because my 1/16 bit is dull...

You are correct but I have never carved anything beyond a depth of 2".
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12