Thread: X Termination Board and/or cut motor

Default X Termination Board and/or cut motor

So, I was working on cutting out a pocket cut, and had gotten a check cut motor (have gotten it a couple of times in the past, and have also read on the forums that it is usually nothing), so I opened the cover, looked inside... everything looked ok, so I continued on. I noticed that the cut path was off on my carve and pushed stop on the key pad. Then I got a puff of smoke coming up from the inside of the CarveWright. So I turned the machine off, unplugged it (just in case) and unloaded my project... which was in a carrier.

So yesterday, I was putting my light on inside of machine, figured it was time, and it would help with the visibility. Got that done, checked around for anything looking out of the ordinary (due to the puff of smoke I noticed the day before), and didn't see anything.

So, I decided to run the user tests, measured the x, y, z just fine, but the cut motor test said it was running, and it wasn't.

So, I searched the forums, checked my machine.... searched again (ok, this went on all afternoon).

I did not remove the cut motor and open it up. I have been using a dust collector from the start (except for a simple first test of the CarveWright). I only have 13.5 hours cutting time on my machine. I do have a warranty.

So, I did take a picture of my X Termination Board - and have read that they use a brown glue, but I can't really tell if that's just glue on my board, or "fried".

I'm attaching a copy of my last project, and a picture of the X Termination Board.

Is it time to call CarveWright??

Thanks for any and all help!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bad cut.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	80080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X Termination Board.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	80081

That glue has gotten hot. It certainly could have been the source of the puff of smoke. It is hard to see from the picture whether the conductor under the glue is melted through or not. But, if the cut motor stopped working, that x termination board is probably fried.

If your machine is under warranty, you should call LHR.

I recently had the same thing happen to me. I would run the cut motor test and it would not run at all (even though it showed that it was running). Lucky for me I have another machine so I just started swapping parts from my "good" machine. I changed out the XBoard and still had the same problem (no running cut motor). I actually took out my motor, opened it up and blew it out. I checked and brushes were fine. I also noticed that on my "good" machine I had those brown glue marks...however it was my good machine that was running fine. Only thing I did notice with (bad machine) cut motor is that it did not seem to be turning as easy when I manually spun the shaft. So I ran my compressor on it a few times where it actually got better. Seems like maybe there was some sawdust that worked it's way in there cause after several passes, it started turning easy again. This might be what caused my board to get hot and cause the "brown glue" heat up on the board.
    What I finally did was to bypass the connection from the cut motor to the top lid (connector located on right as you face the flip up window). I know this is not recommended, but I did not connect that and when I ran the test again the cut motor ran fine. This tells me either the connector was bad or likely had dust in it causing the motor not to run. So......... I'm back up and running with both machines. However, here's a pic of both of my XBoards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-02-21 10.39.45.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	80082
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Thanks for the replies. Chebytrk, I think I read some of your posts yesterday (in my frantic "read forums, run out to machine ... read forums, run out to machine"), and may have even seen those pictures. I'm afraid to do anything to "void my warranty" at this point, so, I think I will go ahead and give LHR a call. May have to wait until tomorrow.... I have an appointment early this afternoon... and just got all the grease out from under my fingernails from yesterday! Tomorrow I can be a grease monkey again

My Money is on a problem inside the cut motor.... Just a WAG.... Wild AL Guess....

Call LHR.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

That is awesome that you got both machines up and going. I may have to at least try blowing some air in the motor to see if anything blows out.

Will do Al!!

Love your WAG's!!

Loretta

Thanks Bergerud....I can't really tell either, I know it doesn't look as bad as some of the fried x boards I saw posted, but I also knew it didn't look like the good ones I saw either. I'll go ahead and bite the bullet and call in.
    Loretta

Just a quick update, LHR feels like it is probably the cut motor, so I sent it off to them today to see if it needs replaced or rebuilt. The rep thought turn around time would be 3 days for a replacement and 10 days for a rebuild... does that sound about right for those that have had to send in parts?