Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Centerline text Celtic Font bug in version 3

I'm having the same issue using the Celtic Knots Inverse font with Designer 3.102 and Centerline fonts. Get little plus signs between the characters like the first image in this thread. I tried it in 1.187 and got rid of the plus signs. But even with 1.187, I'm getting little pyramids (as indicated by red arrow in image) between the characters if I use the 60° bit. The 90° bit gets rid of the pyramids, but I otherwise prefer the looks of the 60°.
    I emailed Clanbadge (maker of the font) to see if they have a newer version - no reply yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyramid.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	83111

What is the size of your project? I'm guessing that Designer is limiting the depth of the V bit due to to the size of the cutout, resulting in the pyramids.

Right click and select outline. Choose the outline of the whole pattern and give carve region to the same depth as the pattern depth. This is not a bug. It is just the uncarved "islands" peeking through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails islands.PNG  
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Right click and select outline. Choose the outline of the whole pattern and give carve region to the same depth as the pattern depth. This is not a bug. It is just the uncarved "islands" peeking through.
    I don't think so, Connie. This is Centerline text.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    What is the size of your project? I'm guessing that Designer is limiting the depth of the V bit due to to the size of the cutout, resulting in the pyramids.
    Board is 4" x 18" x 3/4"

What happens if you try bold?

I suspect it is as I suggested. Try selecting everything and reducing the size to see if the pyramids go away.

Thanks for the suggestions. Reducing text box size to about half makes the pyramids go away. Bold font makes them bigger. I decided to proceed with the 90° bit, although it would be nice to understand how all this stuff works together. I carved it out in cherry and am pleased with it. This will be interior window trim with a Celtic theme, inspired by Capt Bruce's mirror frame and St. Brendan project of a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeON View Post
    I decided to proceed with the 90° bit, although it would be nice to understand how all this stuff works together.
    Centerline limits the depth of cut with the 90 degree bit to about .36". This means that the maximum width of a text stroke is 2 x .36" or .72". The "I" on the left meets this requirement, so the letter can be cut in one pass with no "pyramid". If the stroke width exceeds the limit, Centerline makes two passes at maximum depth to achieve the desired stroke width. That results in the "pyramid" in the center of the middle "I". Since the 60 degree bit cuts a narrower stroke for a given depth, the "pyramid" will be necessarily bigger (as with the rightmost "I"). You reduce the likelihood of the undesirable "pyramid" by using the 90 degree bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Centerline depth limit.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	655.8 KB 
ID:	83113

Thanks, DickB
    That pretty much explains it. So my choices are to stick with 90° or use a finer pattern with more rows of characters. I'll do the former.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast