Thread: A little advice

Default A little advice

I carved a board yesterday(4hrs) and of course that last letter "D" came out all jacked up. I hate to recarve everything so I'm looking for some ideas to try and fix my "oops".
    I was thinking of drawing a box around all of the large letters....Daughters of the Nile and then carve it all down (maybe 1/4" or whatever the 90 V-Bit carves). Then recarve that same title on another smaller thinner board and just place it inside the carved out box. Maybe use raster or outline carving instead of centerline. I'm also wondering if I can carve that box out with my 3/16 cutting bit instead of using my 1/16 carving bit(that's the only size I have). Seems like I remember seeing something a long time ago where someone carved out a square on the back of a clock with a cutting bit. I just don't remember who did it as it was years ago.
    Any other suggestions that might be easier than this? I just hate to go thru another long carve or waste this nice board for one letter.
    Thanks, JerryB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-02-22 14.24.01.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	80052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Board.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	80053
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I think the D is too close to the A to do a "Dutchman" patch. It is only pine, carve it again. The outline looks good but I think you should separate the letters a little more.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Thanks for response Clint. If I try it out with the method I'm thinking about, I'll work on the letter spacing. The board is actually cedar from a tree that a friend of mine cut down.

Jerry,

What does the back look like? Is it carvable?
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 02-24-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Hey Ken,

Yes the back is carvable and maybe that's the best way to go with this. One way might take almost as long as the other and probably the easiest is just to carve the backside. Tnx, JerryB

Can you make a raised D and N and overlay it (glue it over the oops)? Making both letters would balance out the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Can you make a raised D and N and overlay it (glue it over the oops)? Making both letters would balance out the design.
    hmmm haven't thought of that. I might need to play around with that and see.